Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Stork's Darkside "Pass It On" Giveway, IV --Winner in 1st Post --

I received "the package" this weekend. I should have some pics up tonight or tomorrow.
The box currently contains a nice variety of 20th century material, several coins from the 19th century, and at least one ancient (Chinese cash coin). There is even some silver in the mix.

My guess is that the total number of coins (and probably value too) is increasing each round due to winners replacing more than they take. Hopefully, that trend will continue.

In case anyone missed it, here's a Link to the previous round.

Winners to date are:
Stork (originator)
ASUTodd
Laurentyvan
DeepSix

Reply to this thread for a chance to be the next recipient. Winner to be chosen Saturday (April 11th).

Olmanjon has been selected as the winner in honor of his daughter's wedding. (PM me your address when you return).

Congrats!

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    and mine. Thanks!!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    Keep my fingers crossed. I definitely can contribute to the "acient" portion.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    I'm in. If I happen to win and you want my address-I will be in Seattle for my daughters wedding until the 13th. So don't close me out because I didn't answer right away. Thanks
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    Forgive my honesty, but free coins always look nicer! I am in image
  • Options
    Bumping to the top.

There hasn't been much interest this round (current odds are 1 in 5). I promise to get some pics up tonight (it's been a crazy week).

The box currently contains approximately 50 coins.

• Options
    I am in. Thanks.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Just got home and had a PM from Deep Six and he told me about winning. Had a great time in Seattle --both of my daughters are now married. YeaHHHH!
    As soon as I get the box will put something together. Will be a short turna round because I am headed to New Mexico for two weeks, so would like to get it out before I go. Thanks again to Stork for inventing such a giveaway.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    Sounds like fun! I have a bunch of questions: How do you determine value? (Fairly new to coins). And how does this work? Is paper money allowed? Thanks.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think value determination is a combination between 'catalog', 'what I paid for it' and 'how much they are selling for'.

This was my post for the first rendition:

"I'm going to box up 20 random extra coins I have, that aren't junk (though perhaps 'junque') rangeing in value from a couple of dollars up to around $10 or so. For me they represent the leftovers of my tossed-aside attempt at an OFEC. It's been a couple years now and I just never went back to it! I am just too busy (ahem, lazy) to go through imaging and listing them on ebay or the BST.

Once I have my winner (as picked by my 6 year-old winner generator) I will mail them off. The lucky winner can have his/her pick of the prizes offered, then I ask that they then hold another giveaway after replenishing the pot in a similar fashion. I don't mind if the coins are used for an ebay sale, a personal collection, a gift or even a guitar pick. Just that the giveaway goes forward, with a few coins thrown in so that the pot remains around 15-25 coins that fit the value criteria and/or are otherwise nice enough or cool enough to be reasonably desirable.

If this does take off reasonably well, then I would suggest that there be a 'disqualification' period for which a winner may not play for awhile to ensure the most interested parties can play--maybe a 10 round limit? We can modify that one!

If a YN is a winner I would also suggest that they may take up to half the prize without having to replenish the pot (unless they want to), and that the next person up the line can add back a few extras."

Olmanjon is the current winner so he gets to set all the rules image....

Cathy

• Options
    Thanks for clarifying image
  • Options
    Hello Stork. My thanks again for starting this wonderful giveaway. Deep Six has pm'd me an indicated that I should be receiving the box on Tuesday the 21. I am leaving on a trip to New Mexico on the 24th so will not have enough time to get the giveaway back in gear until I get back. As I will be gone for two weeks look for my posting the week of the 15th of May. Thanks for your patience.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the time of receipt is all that important, just the fact that it gets from a to b, with an informational nod from the last sender to the next receiver.

A give-a-way like this likes to take its time, from person to person, over weeks, months, and years.

That it continues, almost everlasting, can be the interesting part; almost like a message in the bottle, it has a life of its own. image

However, only if the last receiver and the next sender chime in at time of receipt and time of sending, with or without pictures but within a normal time of recipt or sending with an informative forum posting.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato