Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Will PCGS Slab this? 1937 Proof Crown

Has a few tone spots, unfortunately some fool thought it a good idea to try to buff them out - note the scratches in the left part of the crown, one other tone spot is buffed out above the right half of the crown but it's minor. Reckon they'll no grade it, or just put it in a low grade slab?

Comments

• Options
    RareSovRareSov Posts: 299
    Hi Walter nice to see you here image

I'd say it'd get a GENUINE slab improperly cleaned
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Given the 34-35 Centenary florin I just saw come back in a genuine slab for lightly brushed high points I'd say that you have no chance at all getting that one into a graded slab.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, those surfaces are hurting. Except for clean and sharp edges, it is very hard to tell this as a proof from the pictures. The obverse looks very rough overall with contact marks that look "baggy" which would seem worrisome for a proof; the lack of cameo can be forgiven as we know the issues with this regard in the George V and VI era. Even to get a "genuine" and certified would likely be a coup. Good luck though.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Ah it's a shame, because the coin is so beautiful in the hand.
  • Options
    It's definitely a proof, the clarity of the crown is the key in the photos, but also the polishing striations are consistent with the proof die Type B. The 1937 proof issue doesn't have a frosted relief, only mirror fields. The crowns are probably the least confusing proofs from the pre-55 era as the circulation issues are never struck up with this clarity.
  • Options

Here's an early business strike. Details are strong but it just isn't the same.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

No buffing allowed....image
    Becky
  • Options
    On that business strike it looks like George got into a knife fight!

But to respond to your original question, I'd bet money they won't. It's a shame what some fools do to fine coins.image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize this is not a Royal Mint issue but note that with the example of Wreath crowns, many prooflike specimens are seen with "knifed" edges and prooflike surfaces - some even with cameo detail to the devices. In fact, and I will not name names but I have seen a number of TPG slabbed specimens labelled as proofs that in fact are not.

So it is a jump to transfer diagnostics from the home mint to provincial but just to say I am not at all too sure that the differences can not be subtle or even transitional. The issue is complicated further by the fact that dies from proofs were likely re-employed to strike further "circulation" strikes that are somewhat hybridized.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Can't comment on the Royal Mint proofs, but the Melbourne mint 1937 proofs were struck on polished blanks. Both the 1937 crowns I've posted came from the proof die #2 - while the polishing striations match, the depth of the strike and the overall finish just doesn't match up. The crowns just aren't an ambiguous type. The 1916 and 1938 Melbournes are the confusing ones as nothing special was done to touch up the blanks. (The 1938 crown isn't really confusing as again, business strikes just don't match in strike depth).