Home U.S. Coin Forum

Santa Clara Coin Show Day 1+2 - Look inside to meet some of our very own forum members. (Added more

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
It was kind of nice and relaxed this time around. Some of the big dealers were not there but the tables quickly got filled by more humble local dealers.

The first thing you see walking in was the Superior tables, they were still there. I did not stop and ask questions, maybe tomorrow.

All I was looking for was Classic Head Half Eagles, all that jumped out was high end everything else. image

adamlaneus noticed the lack of UHR coins but on my way out I saw a dealer that had at least 20 of them slabbed in NGC edgeview holders. They actually look good in that holder.

Too much material to mention but it seems many dealers have plenty of good and ugly stuff to go around, prices are still high though. For a similar coin across dealers I got prices ranging from $1375 (the best looking one) to over $2000 (dinged up and ugly for the grade).

Now the whole reason for going was to meet up with board members:

adamlaneus:

CoinJunkie:

LKEIGWIN:

WTCG:
Forgot to get a snapshot. Maybe tomorrow

edited -- shoot forgot SKYMAN:

Of course myself holding my show and tell:

edited:

I only finished half the floor. In total I found 13 Classic Head Half Eagles:

4 from 1834, 1A, 2B, 3A, 3C
3 from 1835, 2 1A's and 1 3D
4 from 1836, 2A, 3C, 2 4D's
1 from 1837, 2B
1 from 1838, 1A

All were common varieties. I know the other half the floor has about twice this number. I hope I can get through it tomorrow.

DAY 2

Day 2 was actually fun it took 2 more hours than I had but it only happens twice a year so work could wait.
This time around rather than quickly attributing the classic head half eagles and moving on I got dealers who actually seemed interested in what I was doing and ended up sitting and discussing the work the John McCloskey had done and what I was doing with it. This makes for a very long day and I barely covered the second half of the bourse.

In the middle of all this I managed to meet up with a few more forum members. adamlaneus and SKYMAN were back.

Bourse:

Sanction II: (The most impressive set of silver NT coins I have ever seen - Look for photo's in July)

19Lyds:

Crazyhounddog and son:

As far as what I found:
Photos in a couple days -- I went through another 37 Half Eagles and found 1 variety I did not have. Or at least 1 of 5 I was looking for. This also happened to be the 8th of 9 tables on the second half of the floor that had at least one classic head half eagle, i.e. glad I did not skip any tables.

Day 2 Census: (Total 36 Half Eagles on second half of the bourse)
12 Half Eagles from 1834: 3 2something varieties - no dealer to show me the reverse, 2 x 3B, 4 x 2A, 4C, 2B, 3C
8 Half Eagles from 1835: 3 x 1B, 5 x 1A,
5 Half Eagles from 1836: 2 x 3C, 2A, 4D, 4C
2 Half Eagles from 1837: 1A, 2B
1 1838-D Half Eagle: 1A (Genuine Holder)
8 Half Eagles from 1838: 4 x 1A, 4 x 2B

Edited, my only pickup for the show and based on what I saw I feel lucky to have found a semi-rare variety that is not completely messed up and in a grade I can afford all in one package. image

Comments

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Those two things you see in front of me are the two Jaques Wiener Cathedral Medals I bought at the show. Excellent!

I'll probably be back tomorrow once I digest what I saw today.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats does it!

You guys are all skinney!

I'm not goin! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update.

Those two things you see in front of me are the two Jaques Wiener Cathedral Medals I bought at the show. Excellent!

I thought those were Boca Burgers. image
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice writeup and photos. Thanks!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    great post! i always figured you were younger then most!
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>Those two things you see in front of me are the two Jaques Wiener Cathedral Medals I bought at the show. Excellent!

I'll probably be back tomorrow once I digest what I saw today. >>

Congrats! I've gotten blown out of the water on the last 10 or so i've chased at auction image What cathedrals were they?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Bump, added a couple of photo's.

I hope to get more tomorrow, I did not see any other board members there today. They were probably walking the floor.

<< <i>Those two things you see in front of me are the two Jaques Wiener Cathedral Medals I bought at the show. Excellent!

Once they get an acetone dip post some pics. image
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    No sir don't recognize anybody.

But I made my stop at the House for submissions and briefly sat at Alistair's table while he riffled through some of my odd available material for which he did me right, as always. And then I had to go.

I'll stop in again Saturday morning for a longer look-see.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Ez-Est (your basic gold/silver/copper coin stripping chemical) has a very distinctive smell. Sort of a minty fresh smell combined with toilet bowl cleaner.

Near aisle 800 in the Santa Clara show I caught an unmistakable whiff of Ez-Est.

And the food at the show. Scary bad. "Beef with broccoli". Ohmygosh.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I musta just missed all yous guys.

I was hangin out from about 11:00 - 1:00 but didn't see any of ya's

<< <i>Wow, I musta just missed all yous guys.

I was hangin out from about 11:00 - 1:00 but didn't see any of ya's >>

We were all at the food area starting about 1pm.
    That's unfortunate! I passed by the lunch area a few times prior to 1pm.

I'll be there on Friday.

This will be my shirt tomorrow in case anyone sees me and wants to cat. *ahem* Chat:

Now, I get my camera gear back in shape to take pics of today's new purchases. Two Cathedral Medals. Two "San Jose Coin Club" tokens. One "Fremont Coin Club" token.

Some of the ancients I saw at the show are absolutely intriguing. There are some very tiny, yet very exquisite pieces. Size of a CA fractional gold. Many times thicker. Artwork is many times more precise; the artisan obviously fussed over it. I may end up getting one of the more common, yet more striking designs. I'm less into abstract rarity and more into "wow" eye candy.

Also, Ben brought the gold half eagle he is selling on the BST. Someone graded it at PCGS long ago (old slab) as a 60.
    I'll say that most all '60' coins i've seen have been beaten with an ugly stick to the point that it would be nice if there was an extension to the lower end of ugly MS grades.
    This one is different. It has just a few marks in the field; comparable to a 62 in my opinion.

Lots of show and tell; lots of interesting stories. That was fun.

Since I work close by and can attend multiple days...today was for the quick strike on the lesser known items I most wanted (2 cathedral medals = great success).

It took some effort for me to avoid looking at the gold. First, it seems that it has gotten sort of expensive compared with last year; the cheap bullion-y stuff anyway. Second, there is no shortage of gold, so there was no pressure other than to see if any of the coins there really grabbed me. Last year, Broken CC had an eagle that leapt off the table at me. But this year, I didn't see anything move, jump, talk or otherwise say "buy me right now". Not every dealer was set up yet. I'll check over the whole show tomorrow with an eye towards gold.

On the weekend, I will probably open up my Danscos, make some lists of holes, and hit the bargain tables.

I was also looking for 5 ounce Mexican Libertads. I didn't see a single one. A dealer did try to sell me on some 3 ounce "20 Balboa" coins, minted in 1974 and I think done by the Franklin mint. Price was approx $20 an ounce. Naw.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

You dont look anything like your avatar image
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Nice looking fellows, funny thing though.. I would of thought Adamlaneus would of looked like Becoka, and Becoka looked like Coinjunkie..

Oh well maybe since I start using links to my messages Adam will have a little more compassion for me and my threads..

Becoka you are a fine looking young man and I want to thank you for the help with my upload months ago.. I pictured you as a old rich type.. Boy you and your passion for GOLD coins. What a success story you are making for yourself..

Hey Becoka what were the prices the 09 NGC UHRS ER 70's selling for??

I can't even sell my last extra one on the bay for $2,200.00.

I do believe after the flippers are flipped out and the final numbers come out on this UHR it will be a home run in years to come.. It's a very special coin.. Please U.S. mint do not make no more.. George *Yaha*
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Thats does it!

I'm not goin! image >>

Lee I'll walk in there with you anytime.. I see a few don't have much hair.. Being overweight is not a huge problem.. There will be more food for you and I to eat.image
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great to see images of the people on the boards. I liked the report, too.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Twas good to see you Ben, and meet the rest of the guys.

After lunch (I was the idiot who had beef and brocoli... since when is brocoli brown?) I wandered the floor and as per norm found lots of neat coins well out of my price range. I particularly liked an NGC PR68UCAM 1898 Barber quarter. As per norm, there was not even one attractively toned Franklin. I was also looking for PR 1893 material and 1858 PR and MS material. I saw zippo of 1893 (well, actually a gold proof $5 PR64UCAM, but I'm not collecting gold proofs), and the 1858 material was priced higher than I thought worthwhile.

I ended up purchasing two toner pieces... A 1938-D Buffalo in NGC MS67, and a 1916 Mercury in NGC MS65*FB. Both coins definitely float my boat. I'll return tomorrow, as NGC is back in town, to send in some coins for reslabbing as the slabs are pretty scratched up.

EDITED TO ADD: As regards Superior, while they had a table, they scratched their auction, which needless to say is a bad sign.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, this used to be my favorite show to attend. Haven't been there in a while. I have been right next to a few of you and we didn't know it.
    Especially SkyMan, I've been next to him at a few tables. I thought he was a member, but didn't say anything as I thought he might slug me if I told him who I was.image

I didn't know his handle, but knew I'd seen an image before.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I was only there from 11:00-1:00 and was only walking the floor and mostly hanging out with Andy Skrabalak.

I left early cause my GF wanted to go but I could tell she was bored as I knew she would be (she claimed she was just tired.. riiight)

Anyhow, I found a good dealer on the back wall kind of by the food court and unloaded my proof sets. I didn't do any buying as I didn't see the few coins I am looking for but its a good thing I have my $ tied up because there were some goodin's but not many great deals going on (but then again I didn't really look too much as I felt I should rush b/c pops and the gf were tagging along)

I got to hold Andy's 09 vdb MPL and its a nice coin indeed. I would say it is at least 5% to 10% RD with some nice subdued pinkish/purplish toning on the reverse.

We went to Red Lobster after the show and that hit the spot image

All in all I would never bring another female to a coin show as I felt bad for doing so even though she claims she was not bored.

• eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    You guys also might want to contact Carl W. He is a great guy and has a wonderful family and generally shows up at the show on Fridays and Saturdays.

Now after seeing some of the pics, I too have sat next to a few of you when I was going through a pile or two of Morgans.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be at the show today for a few hours. I will stop by the food tables around 1:00 p.m. to say hello. I am tall, heavier than I should be, will be wearing black jeans and blue dress shirt. Hope to see a few forumites.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great meeting you guys! I picked up a couple of nice RD early Lincolns from Andy S. (Angel Dee's) and a lovely '21 Peace dollar struck on proof dies from Frank G. (sorry, don't have the spelling of surnames handy).
    Lance.

imageimage
    Looks like I will be in a little after 1, but before 2. Work.
    I'll head back for round 2 around 11:30.
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought those Wiener medals ... just by the size. Now if only I could find the ones I'm looking for.

Thanks for the report & pics BECOKA.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be back there tomorrow afternoon, following a long bike ride. I apologize in advance for my BO, you won't be able to tell it's me cuz most of the dealers stink something fierce. image

Cladiator and I plan to meet sometime in the afternoon.

BTW, it all the dealers have left by that time, then perhaps I will be the one that smells up the joint image
    Day 2, also a short day because I have work.

I think I may be getting jaded on US coins, as all that is attracting me at this show as far as purchases go are Darkside stuff: It is not that the US coins are not there. It's that I have a certain expectation of price to 'performance'. And apparently, my expectations are unrealistic in this market.

I purchased a cob from Fragner & Fragner. I can't say it's the best cob i've ever seen, but this is a price/performance tradeoff so that I can reserve cash for other purchases. Cobs are cool, rough silver slugs. Eight reales. Coins before the time of collars. Very, very crude. Had I spent twice as much, I could have gotten a piece I would not complain about. However, this show did not have a better cob. And I really wanted one. So I compromised. Of the 12, I had to look them over very carefully as each one had tradeoffs. Pieces of freakin' eight, man! Yo ho!

I didn't have one of those french 'angel' gold coins in my collection. Found a very nice 20 franc angel coin, pretty cheap. Which was good, as I had little cash left.

I believe I will attend again, on Saturday.

There are a few tables of ancients which beckon. There are some fairly common, cheapish and high quality pieces with remarkable artwork and subject material. Then there are the very esoteric, rare, less appealing, but more technically interesting coins. I guess I leave those to the experts.

Q: Can I really get away without purchasing a single US coin? It remains to be seen. I 'need' a nice bust half but one has yet to leap out of the display case, shouting 'buy me'!

Very cool meeting folks from the forum once again! Very cool show and tell once again!

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage >>

I likey this Pie Dish 21 image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats does it!

I'm not goin! image >>

Coin budget cuts deeply into the Lunch budget! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

<< <i>imageimage >>

I likey this Pie Dish 21 image >>

I got to 'swirl it around' under the lights at the show. That was a treat!

See OP for second day update
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting, this used to be my favorite show to attend. Haven't been there in a while. I have been right next to a few of you and we didn't know it.
    Especially SkyMan, I've been next to him at a few tables. I thought he was a member, but didn't say anything as I thought he might slug me if I told him who I was.image

I didn't know his handle, but knew I'd seen an image before. >>

So, stman, whaddya' look like, so I know who to slug! image

I was back today and saw Becoka, Sanction II, WTCG and Colorcommem. I bought a toner New Rochelle in PCGS MS66 from Colorcommen and am seriously contemplating a Cleveland that he has.
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I've been at the show the whole time and will be there tomorrow walking the floor or at 751. I saw WTCG and 62bluevette, but haven't really seen too many of the other board members. Probably because I have been wandering around more and not fixed at a table at this show.

Unfortunately the show has been 180 degrees different from the Portland ANA and Baltimore. It's rather sad to see the steady decline with a show that could be so robust, held at a great location, and in a major metropolitan area with a large collector base.

There are probably several causes such as no on sight grading, the minimal auction and now this year a last minute cancellation of the auction with Superior, less then robust promotion and advertising, poor timing being too close to the Spring ANA and Baltimore. Also possibly impacting Santa Clara this time around is the recession which is reported as being worse in California, Arizona, Nevada and Florida then the rest of the country thus far. I would have to say both the Portland ANA and Baltimore were strong shows despite the recession and economic woes in contrast to Santa Clara.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately the show has been 180 degrees different from the Portland ANA and Baltimore. It's rather sad to see the steady decline with a show that could be so robust, held at a great location, and in a major metropolitan area with a large collector base. >>

The few dealers who brought this up with me felt Portland and Baltimore very disappointing and said Santa Clara better than expected, whatever that means. Of course this was Thursday PM so it was still early. One popular dealer said his Baltimore sales were down more than 60%. Sad indeed.
    Lance.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that Classic Head. Nice n' crusty without being too beat up. Awesome.

You look younger than I imagined. Adamlaneus looks older than I imagined (but I love his piratey T-shirt).

Crazyhounddog looks pretty much exactly how I imagined. image

Thanks for the pix!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beckoa, thanks for the report....I was there, too, but I don't recall seeing you.....did you happen to see the gorgeous PCGS AU50 183X 5d eagle that Art McBride had? I almost bought it....it had beautiful reddish toning around the coin's devices on both sides....and a real PL-type look to it. That was the nicest looking piece of gold I saw at the show for under $1400.

...I did see CoinJunkie and didn't even know it. I nearly bought a nicely toned Vancouver commem from him as he was trying to sell some stuff to a dealer there....couldn't quite pull the trigger (probably because I still needed to see a few tables), but it was a very pretty piece.

....also briefly ran into WTCG who bought one of my toner Morgans right there in the aisle.

Fun show, but you were right about a few empty tables here and there....still a lot to see and it took me most of Thursday to see everything on the bourse. But you do lose some of that "buzz" when there are those dealer gaps in the aisles.

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Unfortunately the show has been 180 degrees different from the Portland ANA and Baltimore. It's rather sad to see the steady decline with a show that could be so robust, held at a great location, and in a major metropolitan area with a large collector base. >>

The few dealers who brought this up with me felt Portland and Baltimore very disappointing and said Santa Clara better than expected, whatever that means. Of course this was Thursday PM so it was still early. One popular dealer said his Baltimore sales were down more than 60%. Sad indeed.
    Lance. >>

I was at this Santa Clara show from the beginning of setup on Wednesday until Saturday afternoon. I was also at the Portland ANA from setup until Saturday afternoon and Baltimore from noon Thursday until Saturday afternoon so I have a good sense for how each of the three shows were.

Santa Clara was better attended on Saturday while Thursday and Friday attendance was slightly sparse and not a comparable comparison with Portland or Baltimore, both being well attended on those days. By Thursday afternoon the floor traffic was so light that it felt more like Sunday. Dealers at Santa Clara universally had very low expectations for the show and while some dealers' expectations were exceeded most thought of the show as feeling tedious to agonizing. Some dealers had their "regulars" come by and that made their show worthwhile. As far as the travelling dealers were concerned, many of them changed their flights to an earlier time to leave a day or two earlier than scheduled. I know this because I drove a few dealers to and from the airport and didn't feel like I was missing much by being absent from the bourse floor for an hour or two at a time. People who know me know that at a busy show I often won't even stop for lunch.

Portland ANA had mixed results. Most dealers agree that attendance was actually better than expected. Wholesale was mostly strong. In retail sales, some dealers reported stronger than expected volume while others were dissapointed. Personally I had a fairly good show in Portland.

This recent Baltimore show appeared to be better attended than the last two shows. Since Baltimore has been one of the strongest shows in recent years, expectations were quite high. Although not in universal agreement, dealers mostly reported sales that weren't as good as the shows in the recent past, but much better than the levels at the last two Baltimore shows. Some dealers were dissapointed, but more than not were satisfied with the results.

Most people who attended all three shows will agree with me that Santa Clara was by far the weakest of the three recent shows. Overall, the show has strong potential, but many things about it need to be fixed before it becomes too late to do so.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people who attended all three shows will agree with me that Santa Clara was by far the weakest of the three recent shows. Overall, the show has strong potential, but many things about it need to be fixed before it becomes too late to do so.

Not to mention the 103 pound 24K gold Mickey Mouse statue that was supposed to be at the show but pulled out at the last minute. image

• JSssonJSsson Posts: 891
    I was there only very briefly on Friday and it did seem like the floor was a little light of people especially in the afternoon. There were rumors of empty tables and although there were some tables empty it looked as if most tables were filled. Overall I had a good time and can't wait for the next show in November.

• << <i>Great meeting you guys! I picked up a couple of nice RD early Lincolns from Andy S. (Angel Dee's) and a lovely '21 Peace dollar struck on proof dies from Frank G. (sorry, don't have the spelling of surnames handy).
    Lance.

imageimage >>

"21 peace dollar struck on proof dies"

please clarify

was this done intentional by the mint, an error? & how can you tell. I think I may have a few
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at the Santa Clara show for Saturday only. I agree that this is a great venue and should be a better attended show. Portland was much better attended, probably better advertised and was free admission. I very much enjoyed both but Portland was great. I think WTCG's comments are a very accurate summary of what is going on and I do hope they can maintaim and improve the Santa Clara Show. Thanks to all for p[psting their show impressions.

I enjoyed the show and did pick up a nice 1882 CC vam 2c from Vams and More and always enjoy visitng with Logan. Sold a few coins to Art McBride who always seems to offer fair prices and opinion. Enjoyed visiting with many of the regulars and hope to see many of you in Sacramento in two weeks.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent thread. I especially like Wei's comparative analysis.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file