Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

New To Forum -- What's it all for?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, I'm new to the Forum. I registered a couple of sets, and I have enjoyed reading all of the threads on the SRF. I thought it was time to put my .02 in.

1. I love collecting coins!
2. Two of my favorite things are collecting and competing. Finally a place to do both at the same time!!!!
3. I am 100% absolutely serious about my coins, whether it's my Morgan DMPL's (always a favorite), or my modern Roosevelts (recently flamed on this forum). I know what I have, I like them, and I don't care if anyone else does or not. Each has a level of enjoyment all of its own. I am 100% non-serious about all of the periphery issues, so get ready for flames.
4. Many of you have shared what is important to you and why. Here is my collecting story:
a. Morgan VAMS -- My finest sets. LOVE THEM. Uncertified and not on a Registry Set because PCGS doesn't attribute them. Do I care? No. It's all about personal enjoyment.
b. Early Lincoln Proofs -- PCGS certified, Registry Set. Building a set of Mattes in 66rb, 1936-1942 in 66 red (there is one 65 CAM I couldn't pass up!) Love the coins, love the competition.
c. 1950-1964 Proof Roosevelts -- short, affordable, competitive, and FUN, FUN, FUN. I have to have something to do while I am looking for "a" and "b" above! I have three at PCGS which I am hoping break me into the top 5.

Final thought -- I hate to see people comingle the serious side of collecting coins with the peripheral fun stuff that should not be taken seriously! My sets are under the name "White Fang" which is the name of my White German Shepard. Flames are welcome . . .

My two cents may be two chewed up memorials to some, but I hope you think they are 09-S VDBs.
Doug

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No flames here! Welcome. You have some wonderful sets in the Registries and terrific enthusiasm for this hobby. Other than that slight "anti-Roosevelt" thread I know you'll continue to find this a welcome relief from most forums that do seem to cater to verbal warfare.
    We're not to be mistaken though as unopinionated. Far from it! Spirited debates are always encouraged.

peacockcoins

• HEY DOUG!

Great registries....that no "P" ....exceptional coin I hear.....Glad to see your on board.....

Ken Moore
    REDHORSE
    kmoore@datasuites.com

Collector of Mint State Modern Commemorative Halves and Dollars

Great start on those Lincoln proofs. I'll be looking forward to seeing you rise!

As for the Roosies--coins are coins. Beauty is beauty. You like 'em? Go get 'em.

Welcome to the Boards.

David
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I'll stick my neck out and personally vouch for Doug's dedication to his collections.He and I have traded E-mails for about 6 months,in regards to the Early Date Proof Lincolns.You won't find a nicer or more dedicated collector.IMHO!!!!!!!!!!
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Great post!

Welcome to the boards.

MarkJude
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ken! You know that holder doesn't have a Series or a Coin number on it. I thought that was odd???? Cert number and the holder is identical in all respects to my other holders. It is the crown jewel of my mint state clad Roosevelts! That's what I fish for when I can't find any in a,b, or c in the original post. When I start having too much time between finding coins in the other series --- I start a new series! Wonder if PCGS certifies NUTS like me!
    Doug
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Don, and the rest of you, too. I hope that I can make some contribution to the threads. For several years I was on a Porsche thread that I REALLY enjoyed. It was all about 928's (a VERY UNDERRATED car). Then I sold my 1988 S4 and couldn't bear the threads any longer without having it to go out and pet. I've been searching aimlessly for a year, and now found a forum I have really enjoyed reading.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes and he will be a mile away and you will have his shoes!"
    Doug
  • welcome to the group...its cool you collect what you like.. but missing that little german car...i dont like those at all...little italian cars are the way to go..zoom
    bruce scher