Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

how much over or underweight does a coin have to be for it to become an error?

is it common for planchets to vary in weight?

For example, a 1983 cent should weigh 2.5 grams. what would be an exceptable weight variation (+ or -) before this
coin is considered to be an error?

Does it become an error? Or deos it have to be struck on a different planchet or metal before it becomes an error?

Or am i just nuts to actually think of this question?image
figglehorn

Comments

• Options
    As I recall official Mint tolerances are 2 or 3%, but I think 10% is probably a safer percentage to be considered a true error.
  • Options
    Mint tolerance is .3 if I remember correctly but it also depends on the coin (year and physical appearance). If it is .5 then I start looking closer. With your example of the 1983 Lincoln, It should be 2.5 grams but there are known "error" examples at 3.1 (copper planchet). So, 2.5 + .5 = 3.0. If the coin looks normal as in thickness/diameter and weights 3.0 grams then I'd be sending it off for authentication.

So to answer your questions: Yes planchets vary in weight. Yes it's an error since that planchet wasn't suppose to be used for that coin...(an oops). The year is a factor whether or not it's an error or variety...Large cents were made with large or small planchets (thick/thin). This is just my opinion and some may not agree but this is how I view it.

Oh ya your last question: 'Or am i just nuts to actually think of this question?'. Nope! This is the exact question I made to come to my conclusion.

Lestrrr
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

I have two 1973-S 40% Business Strike coins.

Mint Weight = 24.6 grams
    Coin Number 1 = 25.3 grams (The Heavy Weight)
    Boin Number 2 = 23.2 grams (The Light Weight)

The Light Weight is weakly struck for a 40% Business strike in that annealing marks can be seen near the edges. You rarely ever see annealing marks on a 40% Business Strike coin.

image .. image

image .. image

Light Weight to the right.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's outside mint specified tolerances, it's an error but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has any additional value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    The one on the right is definitely thinner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file