Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 Topps Baseball Wax Box at BBCE

Anyone notice Steve Hart's new addition on his BBCE website? A sweet 71 baseball full 4th. series wax box. Looks like a great rip candidate. Hope the buyer, or buyers, show some pics. I've been debating opening a 71 4th. series rack. Just can't bring myself to do it. Aaron and Ryan are possible. Too much $ for me, but would love to have that box.
Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.

Comments

• EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    Are there 36 packs? So that would be about $275 per pack, right?
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    24 packs , having seen the box in person , the condition of the packs is phenomenal.
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Y'all and your brutal temptations. Makes me... unsettled.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And look at some of the other stuff I don't recall seeing!

66 and 67 OPC baseball packs
    72 Topps Series one wax
    1968 Topps Football Unopened Series 1 Wax Box
    1969 Topps Football Unopened Series 2 Wax Box

Nice!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • I have an unrelated question. It says the box is unopened, but that the packs are NRMT-MT to MT. If the box is unopened, how can one tell the quality of the packs inside?

• bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have an unrelated question. It says the box is unopened, but that the packs are NRMT-MT to MT. If the box is unopened, how can one tell the quality of the packs inside? >>

I believe the "unopened" is referring to the packs inside the box, and not the box itself
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"

• << <i>

<< <i>I have an unrelated question. It says the box is unopened, but that the packs are NRMT-MT to MT. If the box is unopened, how can one tell the quality of the packs inside? >>

I believe the "unopened" is referring to the packs inside the box, and not the box itself >>

Hmm. Let's take this a step further. If you are referring to the packs being unopened, and not the box, would it be theoretically (actually more than theoretically) possible for someone to insert 24 unopened packs of his choice?

The semantics of the advertisement seems like that the box is indeed unopened.

Now, I'm not trying to pick on the BBCE here. I've bought a few items, and many here have bought a lot more, without any problems. I just want to make sure we get our semantics straight here ...
  • bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    After reading the entire product description and seeing the large digital picture of the box, I think it is rather apparent that a potential buyer is buying 24 unopened packs and not an "unopened" box. Also, as you previously stated, obviously BBCE has handled the packs (as stated in the product description), so I highly doubt anyone is expecting a factory sealed box (does anyone even know if boxes from this time period were even factory sealed?). For the semantics, I would say that BBCE has used proper verbiage to describe their products that is assumed will be properly understood by the customer base.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Boxes from back then were not sealed.

• << <i>

<< <i>

I believe the "unopened" is referring to the packs inside the box, and not the box itself >>

Hmm. Let's take this a step further. If you are referring to the packs being unopened, and not the box, would it be theoretically (actually more than theoretically) possible for someone to insert 24 unopened packs of his choice?

Now, I'm not trying to pick on the BBCE here. I've bought a few items, and many here have bought a lot more, without any problems. I just want to make sure we get our semantics straight here ... >>

Steve from the BBCE has stated many times he needs to remove the packs and check for tampering and also identify what series the cards are from, seems like a common sense to me!
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at the vintage cellos on Steve's site...looked at about 15 of them...Geez...except for one, every top card is OC or MC, and the prices aren't exactly cheap - I guess Steve or whoever Steve buys from, rips the "good" cellos and gets those cards graded. I hope the waxpacks are better than that if they're gonna be ripped by a collector looking for cards in high grade.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    So since they're the same price, if you had to choose which pack to buy, would you buy a 1971 Topps pack, or a 1986 Fleer Basketball pack?
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    The box was SOLD. Anyone here buy it?

The 10K purchase
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet it was Felicia! image
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>24 packs , having seen the box in person , the condition of the packs is phenomenal. >>

Thanks, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    The box is sold ... that didn't take long. Hope to see some scans if it's a board member.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.

• << <i>So since they're the same price, if you had to choose which pack to buy, would you buy a 1971 Topps pack, or a 1986 Fleer Basketball pack? >>

The 1986 has the Jordan rookie, so I would prefer that. It also has a better selection of star players. The 1971 needs to have its cards in NM-MT condition or better to make it worthwhile, especially for the Series 4. I'm not sure exactly who the star players are in Series 4.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

I would slab all the packs. 71s are sooooooooooooooooooooooo condition sensitive, 24 nice PSA slabbed series 4 wax packs should be a much better investment, than a bunch of raw off-centered, "chipped-to-death" 1971 Topps cards.

Or maybe rip 4 and slab 20? image

Or possibly rip 12 and slab 12? image

damnit! rip them all! image

rd

No way, just sub all 24!

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I talked to Steve this morning and he mentioned he had more than one box. Says another box yielded... I think 2 Ryan 9's and said they are nice, mint cards.
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at the vintage cellos on Steve's site...looked at about 15 of them...Geez...except for one, every top card is OC or MC, and the prices aren't exactly cheap - I guess Steve or whoever Steve buys from, rips the "good" cellos and gets those cards graded. I hope the waxpacks are better than that if they're gonna be ripped by a collector looking for cards in high grade.

As an unopened collector, I prefer cello packs with well centered cards on top if I'm keeping the pack sealed, but the centering on the top card does not determine how the cards behind it will be centered in most cases.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is universally understood among collectors that the term "unopened" pertains to the packs inside the box, not literally the box itself as boxes from this era were not "unopened" to begin with.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭
    How many cards are in a 1971 Topps wax pack?
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think 10.

Not 100% sure.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    10 is correct, plus a coin too for series 4

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• The first factory sealed wax boxes I remember was 1989 Upper deck Hi# BB (retail) clear shrink wrap no company logos. Before 1989 the best I can think of as factory sealed would be the 1983 Topps (Michigan test packs) the box wasn't sealed but the packs were made of thick cellophane basically tamper proof. some of your candy distributors would use scotch tape to seal boxes when they went out of their routes to keep the packs from falling out, other than that Fleer & Topps traded sets in the 80's were sealed with plain scotch tape from the factory.

anyone else remember anything before 1980? I do remember as early as 1991 or 92 that the resealers were getting good with resealing the factory shrink wrapped boxes. just FYI

I have a question though when was the first 36 pack wax boxes 1977 or earlier?

well back to trying to invent the Time machine, go back and buy some of those old wax boxes image
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    It would be cool to organize a group rip of this stuff.

• << <i>It would be cool to organize a group rip of this stuff. >>

There are three guys on ebay paying huge prices for rare PSA 9's. If you were lucky
    enough to get two 9's out of a pack, then the rip may pay itself off. That is a very big if.

Do an advanced search on 1971 psa 9's to see how these cards that are selling for anywhere from
    500-1500 would otherwise sell for 150 if not for these three guys.

• << <i>There are three guys on ebay paying huge prices for rare PSA 9's. If you were lucky
    enough to get two 9's out of a pack, then the rip may pay itself off. That is a very big if.

Do an advanced search on 1971 psa 9's to see how these cards that are selling for anywhere from
    500-1500 would otherwise sell for 150 if not for these three guys. >>

Even if you got $1500 for two different PSA 9's you would not pay for the rip.

3000 - 10000 = -7000

Nice try though.
  • DamageIncDamageInc Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I think he was saying if you got 2 nines out of a pack smart ass..........

• << <i>I think he was saying if you got 2 nines out of a pack smart ass.......... >>

It's quite clear that I said "get two 9's out of a pack".

Some people drink well before sundown image