Home U.S. Coin Forum

Beauty 1923 Peace With Spots, What Can I do?

This coin came from my dad, I think is a beautiful coin and difficult to photograph due to the PL surfaces. Is there anything I can do about the spots without dipping which will remove the luster? I'll do VAM research tomorrow night.

imageimage

imageimage

Thanks for your help.

Aggie

Aggie

Comments

• That coin is gorgeous and frosty, but I HATE SPOTS on Peace Dollars (an all other coins, for that matter). When I was searching for coins for my Type Set, I sent many coins back due to spots like that. I don't know of anything that can be done, and dipping would likely harm the luster.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    Looks live PVC, a pure acetone bath should do the trick.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave it alone it's a great looking Peace $1.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Often times those types of spots can't be removed, at least by any process I'm familiar with. They won't even dip off.

I'm pretty sure it's not PVC.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Often times those types of spots can't be removed, at least by any process I'm familiar with. They won't even dip off.

I'm pretty sure it's not PVC. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    That's too bad 'cause that coin's got some killer luster! What would NCS do that a dip or acetone won't touch??

<< <i>

<< <i>Often times those types of spots can't be removed, at least by any process I'm familiar with. They won't even dip off.

I'm pretty sure it's not PVC. >>

image >>

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file