Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1982-P Washington Lamination Error?

Can anyone tell if this is a mint lamination error of some type, or if this is post-mint damage on this 1982-P Washington?

There's some odd stuff going on here.. the strike seems extremely weak on the obverse, with barely any detail showing, as well as some coloring and corrosion I've never seen on a quarter. The mintmark is filled, and the motto is partially filled as well.

The reverse exhibits a huge band of copper, which has partially toned, and is wrapped around the edge onto the top of the obverse side. The strike on the reverse appears weak as well, with little detail showing, but close examination shows what looks like machine doubling in the lettering.

Thanks!

- Mark

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a piece of junk.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    I'd agree with that! I'm just curious as to what might be going on with it.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It might have been in the ground for a while and it caused that color.

Ed
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The reverse is showing the copper core. When the stock was rolled out, it was defective in the cladding layers and this is "as struck" on a defective planchet.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    you're not going to like this answer but here goes.....

to me it resembles clad coinage that plumbers commonly will recover from sewer drains and pipes........the acid from the sewage waste eats away at the outer core and exposes the copper color that you see

if i'm right, then it's worth 25c and i hope you wore gloves taking those pics

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    PonyPullerPonyPuller Posts: 134 ✭✭
    LOL! Ouch. It did take a dip in acetone to try see if the green gunk would come off, so hopefully that killed anything nasty on the surfaces!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file