Home Sports Talk
Options

Calipari takes Kentucky job - will be highest paid college basketball coach

8 years for $35 million including bonuses.

The salary expectations for other top tier college basketball coaches just took a nudge upwards with this contract putting pressure
on schools at a time when finances are shaky for many of them.

Comments

• Options
    good~

Izzo is off the hook for the moment. Sucks having a coach that is always 1st or 2nd on the list every year. Like dodging bullets.

Kentucky sure seems impatient these days. Like they need to win. right now! Regardless of cost. They're the Dallas Cowboys of ncaa hoops. It was Kentucky, right?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>8 years for $35 million including bonuses.

The salary expectations for other top tier college basketball coaches just took a nudge upwards with this contract putting pressure
    on schools at a time when finances are shaky for many of them. >>

I agree especially when colleges receive public financing - Some people out there aren't getting it that things have to change in this country when taxpayer money is involved!
  • Options

<< <i>
    I agree especially when colleges receive public financing - Some people out there aren't getting it that things have to change in this country when taxpayer money is involved! >>

That's not how college sports work. Most of the time this money comes from donation via alumni, or just from the predetermined athletic budget.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I agree especially when colleges receive public financing - Some people out there aren't getting it that things have to change in this country when taxpayer money is involved! >>

That's not how college sports work. Most of the time this money comes from donation via alumni, or just from the predetermined athletic budget. >>

Those "donations" could be used to contribute to other areas of the sports program whereby taxpayer dollars are used, rather than to the bloated salary of some college coach. I'm tired of taxpayer dollars being lavishly spent, and that would include Penn State.
  • Options

<< <i>

Those "donations" could be used to contribute to other areas of the sports program whereby taxpayer dollars are used, rather than to the bloated salary of some college coach. I'm tired of taxpayer dollars being lavishly spent, and that would include Penn State. >>

Understandable, but you can't tell someone how to spend their money- Especially when it comes to schools with deep tradition and a rabid fan base.

Edit: It's a shame, but it's just how the cookie crumbles... As a soon to be college student in a state that has been hit extremely hard by the economy, I completely understand where you're coming from.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Those "donations" could be used to contribute to other areas of the sports program whereby taxpayer dollars are used, rather than to the bloated salary of some college coach. I'm tired of taxpayer dollars being lavishly spent, and that would include Penn State. >>

Understandable, but you can't tell someone how to spend their money- Especially when it comes to schools with deep tradition and a rabid fan base.

Edit: It's a shame, but it's just how the cookie crumbles... As a soon to be college student in a state that has been hit extremely hard by the economy, I completely understand where you're coming from. >>

And of course I understand the basic premise that if ya don't win basketball games, then alumni donations might decrease, hence he's worth the money and the college could actually make a profit - I think in this country we're at the "breaking point" with this type of thinking, and the taxpayers are definitely at the breaking point.

I'm now off the soapbox. image
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Correction on the salary, it is $31.65 million for eight years not $35 million. Comes out to about $3.8 million a year.