Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1821 Bustie - care to grade/attribute? (Large pics). Now with OK's grade/attribution

MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
It has been too long from the camera. Nothing new to shoot, so I reshot the Bust half. She's been cleaned and has retoned, most likely will not grade, but you're welcome to grade and/or attribute if you like. I'll post OKbustchaser's grade and attribution later. Also, what is going on with the date?

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the easiest DM's of the year to identify as both dies are unique to this marriage...

edit to remove attribution after reading that I had already done it. Even if, sadly, I don't remember it. It's a real pain getting old.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    A bump for the graveyard shift.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i like it as a xf40-45.
  • Options
    VF-35 O-106
    Can't never Could!
  • Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641

<< <i>VF-35 O-106 >>

(He beat me to it.)
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid xf-40
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Looks like XF wear, but the remaining luster has been stripped in a cleaning netting it to VF 20.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    This was the first coin I really attempted to grade after buying my grading guide. I spoke with Jim about it guessing that it grades in the range of VF-30/35 to EF-40/45 with VF-35 being most likely - clearly I'm not very confident in grading these. Jim graded it VF20 off of a different set of pictures and attributed it as O-106. I liked maibockaddict's grading summary with a wear grade of XF and, due to cleaning, a net grade of VF20.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options

<< <i>This was the first coin I really attempted to grade after buying my grading guide. I spoke with Jim about it guessing that it grades in the range of VF-30/35 to EF-40/45 with VF-35 being most likely - clearly I'm not very confident in grading these. Jim graded it VF20 off of a different set of pictures and attributed it as O-106. I liked maibockaddict's grading summary with a wear grade of XF and, due to cleaning, a net grade of VF20. >>

When buying a cleaned coin, it is worth it if you are paying for a full grade lower than what is said on the holder, or how you would grade it without the cleaning. That is my rule of thumb. Like it or not, at some point when collecting busties, it will be necessary to get that R5 or rarer coin in whatever available condition and not get what you really like to collect. If the seller goes by my rule of thumb, I would consider it...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>VF-35 O-106 >>

(He beat me to it.) >>

(They both beat me to it.)
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file