Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question on Grading of Patterns

For grading purposes, are all patterns given a "PF" designation as opposed to "MS"? My assumption (dangerous word, that one) is that since the dies weren't intended for circulation they are technically proofs, even though they might not have the mirrored fields that one typically associates with coins struck from proof dies.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For grading purposes, are all patterns given a "PF" designation as opposed to "MS"?

No. However, most patterns that were struck for the purpose of milking a collector were made as proofs. In other words, most patterns are proofs. But certainly not all of them.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I once owned an 1855 Bronze Flying Eagle Cent pattern, which was PR45, though it did not have mirrored fields. Perhaps if it was PR60 or higher, it would have exhibited such a characteristic. That pattern, at least in my understanding, was produced to allow members of Congress to view the new design in hand, so I don't think it was produced to milk collectors, but I am not an expert, of course.

To this day, I am still sorry that I sold that coin!
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification!
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Many of the Heaton Mint's Patterns are considered Specimens, and are given a designation of SP.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I think as far as grading goes the only consideration is method of manufacture. If a coin was produced by finished dies in the full process of making a proof, it's a proof. If struck from proof dies without the full process it may be PL. And I guess Specimen striking is somewhere in between, though that seems dependent upon context. If a coin made by these methods for some reason circulated or became impaired, so long as evidence remains (wire rims, mirror fields) it should still be graded as what it is - say, PF55.

But semantically "proof" could be an appropriate description for presentation pieces. It works a bit different with banknotes and other such collectibles. But still I think the more precise terms are best - pattern can be a general term, but more precise are die trial, presentation piece and, well, I guess "pattern" is what's used for collector patterns since they're generally lower mintage and slightly more respectable than run of the mill NCLT.