Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are You Protective of Your Online Coin Pictures?

Another newbie question for y'all. Are you protective of the coin pictures you post online? You know, the ones that took hours to get "just right"?
I ask because I'd like to grab some nice (high-rez) pictures of coins off of the Internet for use in an article I'd like to write. I just don't want to have any issues with someone later emailing me to remove "their" pictures for whatever reason.

So, what is the proper etiquette amongst numismatists?

*** Is it once you post the photo online it's free for all to use?
*** Or, do I need to get explicit permission from the owner/photographer?
*** Or, would a simple "photography credit" under the picture be necessary?
*** Or, am I worrying about nothing? image

Thanks!
Coin Search Made Easy -- CoinZilla.com

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to use them in an article you should have permission to do so.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    I had one of mine show up on others website. I wrote the guy and said he would credit the photo to me. He never did.

There was some discussion on this forun a while ago of a new law I believe that will allow any picture that is not registered to be considered a public picture. Not really sure where that discussion went.
    Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the agreement you OK'd when you joined this forum.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Read the agreement you OK'd when you joined this forum. >>

He didnt specify where he was getting the pics from, just the internet.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another newbie question for y'all. Are you protective of the coin pictures you post online? You know, the ones that took hours to get "just right"?
    I ask because I'd like to grab some nice (high-rez) pictures of coins off of the Internet for use in an article I'd like to write. I just don't want to have any issues with someone later emailing me to remove "their" pictures for whatever reason.

So, what is the proper etiquette amongst numismatists?

*** Is it once you post the photo online it's free for all to use?
    *** Or, do I need to get explicit permission from the owner/photographer?
    *** Or, would a simple "photography credit" under the picture be necessary?
    *** Or, am I worrying about nothing? image

Thanks! >>

I am not at all protective of my coin pictures.

However, it is proper etiquette (IMO) to use anyone's pictures in our own published works, including forum posts, websites, etc., ONLY after getting permission of the photographer.

Respectfully...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are going to use them in an article you should have permission to do so. >>

I agree...to do anything less would be the acts of someone I would not support not want to work with.
    It's different if someone is saving the photos for their own personal enjoyment (for whatever reason there) but when it is for an article or business of some sort, that should mean getting the permission of the person who took the photos and giving credit to them.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I believe you should always ask permission from the photographer no matter what but also credit them in the article if they agree to it. I wouldn't however, mention their name without their permission. Give respect to those that deserve it.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Unless they are using my images for fraudulent purposes, I don't really care. And if they bought the coin from me based on those images, I doubly don't care. But having said that, asking for permission ahead of time is appreciated.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>Unless they are using my images for fraudulent purposes, I don't really care. And if they bought the coin from me based on those images, I doubly don't care. But having said that, asking for permission ahead of time is appreciated. >>

I'm with him.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    You must have written permission to use other peoples work. Citations are allowed up to something like 10%, I think.

All I know is that every publisher (magazine or book) that I've worked with, as an author, has had strict policies about having written authorization in place from the original author for any work that I reprinted.

I have never found another author unwilling to let me use photos, graphics, text or even code libraries as long as there was appropriate credit given to the original author.

Blu62vette (and several other forum members) are all great photographers and can probably provide whatever you need.

I have never really been clear on who owns the rights to a photograph. For example, if I contract with a photographer to image a coin, does the photographer retain rights to the image? Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know?
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    you should always watermark your images IMO
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need permission to use the images.

You should PAY to use the images or learn how to photograph yourself.

• Options

<< <i>You must have written permission to use other peoples work. Citations are allowed up to something like 10%, I think.

All I know is that every publisher (magazine or book) that I've worked with, as an author, has had strict policies about having written authorization in place from the original author for any work that I reprinted.

I have never found another author unwilling to let me use photos, graphics, text or even code libraries as long as there was appropriate credit given to the original author.

Blu62vette (and several other forum members) are all great photographers and can probably provide whatever you need.

I have never really been clear on who owns the rights to a photograph. For example, if I contract with a photographer to image a coin, does the photographer retain rights to the image? Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know? >>

The photographer owns the right to the image unless it was a work-for-hire agreement which is horrible for the photographer. You own the coin and the photographer can't sell the use of the image (except for editorial purposes) without the owner of the properties permission.
  • Options

<< <i>You need permission to use the images.

You should PAY to use the images or learn how to photograph yourself. >>

.... I have a follow question you might answer.
    .... If you buy a coin with a photo used in the sale. You buy the coin .... is the coin photo yours to use also ? This seems like it may be a "grey" area.
  • Options

<< <i>

.... If you buy a coin with a photo used in the sale. You buy the coin .... is the coin photo yours to use also ? This seems like it may be a "grey" area. >>

No grey area, the photographer owns the rights to the photograph.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>

.... If you buy a coin with a photo used in the sale. You buy the coin .... is the coin photo yours to use also ? This seems like it may be a "grey" area. >>

No grey area, the photographer owns the rights to the photograph. >>

I agree, that being said, i have not found any seller who has not allowed their images of the coin to be used by the new owner when asked.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Even though it's on the internet it's not ok to steal it. In my opinion you get permission from the owner, and a short credit.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    All I ask is that you give credit to the photographer and link to the original source.

Ben
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

No grey area, the photographer owns the rights to the photograph. >>

I disagree. The area is quite grey, IMO, although not for the reason the poster above suggests. Please see Bridgeman Art Library -v- Corel Corp...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    That raises a question for me. If I go to Brandon's website (for example) and spot an absolutely knockout coin, copy the pic and post it here (acknowledging that it is neither my coin nor my picture); is this OK. I know this has happened here in the past, and by me a time or two.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file