Home Sports Talk
Options

Michael Vick thinks Michael Vick is still worth a huge contract

stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm EDT

Michael Vick thinks Michael Vick is still worth a huge contract
By MJD

I don't know what kind of access Michael Vick has had to newspapers, magazines and the Internet in prison, but it seems like the news that he is no longer a hot commodity has not yet filtered down to Michael Vick.

In papers he submitted to a bankruptcy court, Vick indicated that he plans on making $10 million per season, which I'm pretty sure would be a record for an ex-con who had a career quarterback rating of 75.7 when he went away. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

The embattled Atlanta Falcons quarterback is hoping to earn as much as $10 million a year or more, according to court filings in his bankruptcy case. Under the plan he submitted to the court, Vick would keep the first $750,000 of his annual income over the next five years. After that, a percentage would go to his creditors based on a sliding scale. [...]

In a March 4 court filing, Vick’s attorneys say he “has every reason to believe upon his release, he will be reinstated into the NFL, resume his career and be able to earn a substantial living.”

“He is hopeful to play quarterback,” Daniel Meachum, an attorney and business manager for Vick, said in an interview. “There is no person with his talent in that position in all the league.”

That may have been true at one time, but there are also no quarterbacks in the league who have spent the last nine months sitting in a jail cell and eating prison food. I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's not what NFL team doctors would recommend for keeping a guy in optimum game shape.

The fact of the matter is that no one knows how Vick will perform when he gets out of the joint, though it seems extraordinarily unlikely that he'll look exactly the same as he did when he went in. Factor in the amount of teams scared off by the P.R. nightmare, and I think we're looking at a salary closer to $605,000, which was last year's veteran minimum for a seventh-year player.

Comments

• Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    anythings possible
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    i think any team would have a PR nightmare if they took him, i would laugh at him and tell him not my team, i don't think fans want this guy on their chosen team, but i might be wrong..
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    true,he might get outted like bonds where nobody wants him, or he could come back,stranger things have happened
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>“There is no person with his talent in that position in all the league.” >>

Sure, if he's speaking about Vick's new talent of positioning himself while bending over for the soap...

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny I should be reading this post today when yesterday I heard a story on the radio about PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). PETA was a very vocal critic of Michael Vick when his dog fighting activites came to light.

Well according to the radio report, it appears that many, many unwanted animals are surrendered to PETA on a regular basis. Of these animals, PETA ends up killing 95% of same (probably for the same reason animal shelters do the same, no one wants to adopt the animals and it is too expensive to keep them and pay for their food and other needsZ).

If Vick finds that he is no longer able to play in the NFL or is no longer wanted by any NFL team, maybe he can get a job at PETA in the back room, offing the little puppies and kitties.
  • Options
    I would love to see him in a Vikings uniform. Maybe I am biased because off the games when he tore US apart, but he had game. The Falcons were a 2-3 win per year team without him. He didnt have big talent around him, and they won alot of games while he was there.

The things he did in his personal life, well they bothered me but not to a point of him going to prison for it.

He would be an improvement over what we have...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny I should be reading this post today when yesterday I heard a story on the radio about PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). PETA was a very vocal critic of Michael Vick when his dog fighting activites came to light.

Well according to the radio report, it appears that many, many unwanted animals are surrendered to PETA on a regular basis. Of these animals, PETA ends up killing 95% of same (probably for the same reason animal shelters do the same, no one wants to adopt the animals and it is too expensive to keep them and pay for their food and other needsZ).

If Vick finds that he is no longer able to play in the NFL or is no longer wanted by any NFL team, maybe he can get a job at PETA in the back room, offing the little puppies and kitties. >>

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I would possibly not go to the games if he played for my local team the Seahawks. Teams should clearly do the right thing and not even consider signing him. There will be some people saying that he deserves a second chance. He does. Just not in a league that we and our families see weekly on T.V. He's getting a second chance by getting out of prison. In my opinion he is scum.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't wish this on any player under almost any circumstances, but I wouldn't shed a tear if this dirtbag suffered a career-ending injury and just went away for good..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    If he serves the full time and comes back to play QB that is fine by me.

He should never own any kind of animal ever again.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If he serves the full time and comes back to play QB that is fine by me.

He should never own any kind of animal ever again. >>

he should be forced to own and be seen in public with long-haired cats and dress them in frilly cat clothes
  • Options
    If Jerry Jones signs him it would be my dream come true.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    You're forgetting the millions he'll make in endorsements when he returns. That should be enough to pay off his creditors

::yes, for the love of g-d, that was tongue in cheek:: image
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>You're forgetting the millions he'll make in endorsements when he returns. That should be enough to pay off his creditors

::yes, for the love of g-d, that was tongue in cheek:: image >>

I do imagine that is where Vick figures his $10 million, and it is strange the writer wasn't able to figure that out. Or perhaps typical media bash the "bad guy"? Not that I am a MV fan...attack away.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I think Vick might make 10 million on a pay per view special whereby he is coated with beef gravy and placed in a locked cage with 10 pitbulls that haven't been fed for a week.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Vick might make 10 million on a pay per view special whereby he is coated with beef gravy and placed in a locked cage with 10 pitbulls that haven't been fed for a week. >>

I would pay $100 in a heart beat to watch that.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts