Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

post office wont insure coin

when to the post office this morning to mail my cc special.. the clerk asked what was inside? i said money .. the said we cant insure that ..
i said its old money.. he asked if i could prove its value ? if i had any pictures? question has anyone ever lost a coin mailing it.. with insurance ... did you get your money ??

Comments

• Options
    In my experience, if they know its a coin you wont get your money. The post office will determine its value and thats whay you will get.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    This is discussed here from time to time.

You should have said it was an old collector coin with numismatic value -- not "money." Money (as in regular cash) is not insurable. Collectibles (including rare coins) are.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I always use "antique", coin, book, postcard, whatever.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    There is a difference between "coin" and "coins"
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tell them its "numismatica" if you have to tell them anything.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I use the machine; it just asks how much insurance you want.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    "collectables" good
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Tell them to mind their own business image

I just say its a collectable item.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Just because a postal clerk tells you something doesn't mean it's true.

Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage

4.0 Claims
    4.1 Payable Claim
    Insurance for loss or damage to insured, registered, or COD mail within the amount covered by the fee paid or within the indemnity limits for Express Mail as explained in 4.2 is payable for the following:

g. Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use the machine; it just asks how much insurance you want. >>

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tell them it's fragile, well packed. It's not liquid, perishable, or potentially hazardous.

For customs forms, I just write "collectible."
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    You can always say stamped metal.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always tell them it is a medal.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are they asking you what's in your package? It sounds like they're casing your package looking for a target of opportunity. It's none of their freakin business as long as it isn't liquid, perishable or hazzardous. Next time they press you to find out what's inside the package, ask them to put you touch with the postal inspectors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to my thread on the subject.

mrpotoatohead has the best response, tell them to look in their Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) and they will see that collectible coins can be insured for their collectible value.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The post office has paid every claim I've filed for lost items, and they knew they were coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What business is it of theirs what is inside? I have never had a postal clerk ask me what I was shipping and quite frankly I would tell them none of their damned business. They should only be asking you if the package has anything liquid, or pontentially hazardeous.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    If pushed I say "collectible". I did have just one case where a coin didn't show up to a buyer and I had to refund the purchase and file for the insurance. I had to give them details as to the value. They did pay the entire insurance amount.

I often wonder what happened to that coin. I even tried to watch for it on ebay for awhile but it never showed up.
  • Options

<< <i>Why are they asking you what's in your package? It sounds like they're casing your package looking for a target of opportunity. It's none of their freakin business as long as it isn't liquid, perishable or hazzardous. Next time they press you to find out what's inside the package, ask them to put you touch with the postal inspectors. >>

Just make sure it's on a day you didn't have anything else planned.image
  • Options
    You have to tell them what it is to insure it.
  • Options
    I'm still watching for the 1837 bust quarter of mine that was "lost" around Christmas to show up on ebay...it had a unique characteristic so I will see it if it shows up
  • Options

<< <i>You have to tell them what it is to insure it. >>

No you don't
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Just tell them it's vintage gay erotica and offer to let them inspect it before mailing it. They'll never ask again. Unless they start asking every time you come in.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Over the years i have had 2 lost insured coins. 1 was a vg 1894 morgan and the other was a proof v-nickel. Paid off on both with no questions ask. I provided the ebay auction and the paypal amount and recieved a check. They paid 1k on the 1894, to this day i was not convinced it was real.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>I use the machine; it just asks how much insurance you want. >>

The machine doesn't give a crap what's in the box.. That's why I use it also.. Almost made a mistake today though, printed my label and put it on the box but forgot to put the PCGS address on it. I had a postal worker come out and said Mr Graham I see you forgot to put the addy on it.. I said hell it's going to Newport Beach, have the mailman throw it in the ocean and let someone find treasure at a later date. My postal clerks are the tops.. Saved again.image
  • Options

<< <i>

No you don't >>

Sorry, I was thinking of a customs form
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why are they asking you what's in your package? It sounds like they're casing your package looking for a target of opportunity. It's none of their freakin business as long as it isn't liquid, perishable or hazzardous. Next time they press you to find out what's inside the package, ask them to put you touch with the postal inspectors. >>

Just make sure it's on a day you didn't have anything else planned.image >>

I'm retired so I have plenty of free time.image

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have already stated, the post office insures coins and pays on that insurance in the event of loss or damage. However, when you said "money" the clerk might have thought you were mailing cash and I do not believe the post office will allow you to insure cash shipments. If someone asks what is in the package, you only need to tell them "merchandise".
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Airplanenut, I find a good offense is the best approach. As I walk to the counter, I tell the clerk that there is nothing liquid, fragile, perishable, or potentially hazardous. They usually just ask about the insured value and move on. In the rare instance where someone asked what was in the package, I responded with "collectible" and "very well packaged".

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

No you don't >>

Sorry, I was thinking of a customs form >>

"Machined metal parts" is probably an adequate and accurate description. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just make sure it's on a day you didn't have anything else planned.image >>

While I agree with the "day you didn;t have anything else planned" I disagree that you must tell them what it is you are insuring. A USPS Clerk has no "right" to know the specifics about what you are sending and seeking insurance on. THEY DO INSURE COLLECTIBLE COINS but its the claimants responsibility to PROVE value should a claim need to be filed. If the value cannot be proven then you just wasted your insurance premium.

And before all the folks start screaming about anthrax and poisons and explosives and such, we're talking coins in this thread and those are the specifics I am referring to. A clerk should never ask you what it is you are insuring as the fewer people that actually know whats in the package, the better it is for both seller and buyer as it minimizes any temptation.

Sellers should never blatantly state that they are shipping "money" or "coins". Instead simply state that you are shipping a collectible product that is not fragile, liquid, perishable or hazardous and thats all that the USPS clerk needs to know. Once the package leaves the clerks hands, then the clerks responsibility ends and it becomes the responsibility of whomever subsidizes the USPS insurance.

USPS Postal regulations clearly state that collectible coins are "insurable".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>"collectables" good >>

That's what I say. But I'd prefer they didn't ask at all. image
  • Options
    As long as it's not hazardous, liquid or perishable, it's NO business of that clerk what's inside.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "... and it becomes the responsibility of whomever subsidizes the USPS insurance."
    The PO is self-insured. If you notice, their vehicles don't have plates or registration. Oh...and they suck too. I won't get into details, but the scorned questions asked by clerks are generated by the fraudulent claims filed upon them. If you put yourself in the position of the Insurer, can you imagine the scam artists that prey upon them? Did I mention they suck too?

• Options

<< <i>"... and it becomes the responsibility of whomever subsidizes the USPS insurance."
    The PO is self-insured. If you notice, their vehicles don't have plates or registration. Oh...and they suck too. I won't get into details, but the scorned questions asked by clerks are generated by the fraudulent claims filed upon them. If you put yourself in the position of the Insurer, can you imagine the scam artists that prey upon them? Did I mention they suck too? >>

Maybe I'm spoiled because I live in a very small town, My mailman calls me in the morning if there is anything to sign for and asks me whether she should bring it or do I want to come in and pick it up. I mail and receive hundreds of things a year and seldom, if ever have any problems. I have no complaints with the USPS about service, rates are another matter.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No you don't >>

Sorry, I was thinking of a customs form >>

Customs form asks for "Quantity and detailed description of contents."

I have always written numismatics" on the form and have never had a problem. And, I've shipped a couple of hundred of these.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I just went through this very issue with a USPS claim. You have to be VERY careful how you describe the merchandise.

If you say "coins" or "coin", some USPS employees are likely to interpret that as "cash" or "money" which carries with it a maximum indemnity of $15.

You want to use the word "collectible" in conjunction with the description. "Collectible coin" is good; "coin" is bad.

My claim for $100 was initially knocked down to a $15 payout. Upon receiving the check I called the claims division. The woman who spent time on the phone with me said that it had originally been interpreted as cash, but by looking through the attached documents I had submitted (eBay auction page, PayPal transaction page) she said "Oh, this is a collectible coin. No problem" and 3 days later I had a second check for the difference.

I think it's best to dumb it down for the USPS personnel. On my claim form I had said "1848 large cent, PCGS AU50" where I should have written "Collectible coin: 1848 large cent, PCGS AU50".

Don't leave it open to their interpretation. Don't assume they know anything about coins.

EDIT: This is completely different from a customs declaration on an international parcel, where it behooves you to be as vague as possible to avoid pilferage. I use "Token" and have had no problems.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they are legally allowed to demand to know what's in a package. The most they've ever asked me is, "Is it fragile" and/or "Do you want insurance or delivery confirmation?"

If I ever get pressured by them, "Numismatic Antiquity" would be an honest and yet diplomatic, "It's none of your business" answer.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Anyone remember Col. Flagg on MASH? Just tell the postal clerk:"I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file