Home Sports Talk
Options

For Which Team will Sheffield Hit #500?

Comments

• Options
    hmm who needs a right hander power bat?

who needs the whining, the injuries and the headaches?
  • Options
    Iowa Cubs?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I would think someone would give him a shot. It would blow to get this close and not make it. Didn't Fred McGriff get within 10 or so?
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, he won't. I'll LMAO if no one signs him.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    I think this is the perfect time for collusion by the owners. They colluded against Barry Bonds last season, and Sheffield has done more wrong to baseball than Bonds has.

He, like Bonds, is a big PED user. He, was an a s s to people, and most importantly he made errors on purpose when with Milwaukee for the purpose of getting traded. He should have been banned from baseball way back then.

His ability is not nearly as good as what Bonds was last season. Owners, do something right, let this guy go play in some independent league and hit his a fictional 500th home run there...just don't let him do it officially on a MLB team. That way we won't have to be reminded of this dirt bag every time a 500 HR club list is posted.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hoopster ... tell us how you REALLY feel.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hoopster ... tell us how you REALLY feel. >>

LOL!! I have to agree with Hoopster. I never really cared for the guy and I would laugh hardily if he was stuck at 499.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Every time I hear collusion, I think ... possibly, maybe and consequently, there could be damages/penalties, etc. But the fact remains that nobody can force an owner/GM to employ someone and that, perhaps, is what is most important in the player's eyes.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this is the perfect time for collusion by the owners. They colluded against Barry Bonds last season, and Sheffield has done more wrong to baseball than Bonds has.

He, like Bonds, is a big PED user. He, was an a s s to people, and most importantly he made errors on purpose when with Milwaukee for the purpose of getting traded. He should have been banned from baseball way back then.

His ability is not nearly as good as what Bonds was last season. Owners, do something right, let this guy go play in some independent league and hit his a fictional 500th home run there...just don't let him do it officially on a MLB team. That way we won't have to be reminded of this dirt bag every time a 500 HR club list is posted. >>

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some team could sign him, pay him league minimum, and Detroit will still be on the hook for $12-14 million, whatever his steroid-driven salary is.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Phillies.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe that he was cut from the team right before the season. The management must have thought about this for a long time.

I would imagine Sheffield should be picked up by someone. Perhaps San Diego. The Atlanta Braves have no bad blood with him, so that may be a fit too. The Yankees have too many for the DH spot, so I doubt that team.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I don't like the man either, but some team in need of a DH bat will probably pick him up.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    "Didn't Fred McGriff get within 10 or so?" Yes, Crimedog had 493.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The difference between the Crime Dog and Sheff is that the latter has more potential to contribute to a team. McGriff was just hanging on at the end of his career. Sheffield could contribute. Even his last season was much better than McGriff's last season--not even worth spending time analyzing.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Fillies are wanting to sign him.
  • Options
    The difference between McGriff and Sheffield was class. Also one was a cheating steroid abuser and the other was not. McGriff will go in the HOF and Sheffield will not.
  • Options
    McGriff had a good year at age 38. He had an OPS+ of 125
    At age 39 in 86 games, he had an OPS+ of 99

At age 40 he had a cup of coffee with Tampa and was abysmal in 72 at bats, and was officially done.

At age 38 Sheffield had an OPS+ of 120
    At age 39 Sheffield had an OPS+ of 90, which was last year.

Looks pretty similar to McGriff at the end, and probably worse. I think teams know that an abysmal season has the same chance of happening as merely a well below average season. Knowing that this guy is a world class jerk, there is no bother to even take him. He has ZERO upside.

I hope Dusty baker doesn't take him and take at bats away from Bruce or Votto and do something stupid like that.

Retire, please. Go away.

GM's, please read. Save yourself the bother.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>The difference between McGriff and Sheffield was class. Also one was a cheating steroid abuser and the other was not. McGriff will go in the HOF and Sheffield will not. >>

I hope the Crime Dog does get in. He deserves it!
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    " he made errors on purpose when with Milwaukee for the purpose of getting traded. He should have been banned from baseball way back then."

Excellent point about Gary Sheffield, perhaps a bit harsh, to be banned for life, however a great insight into Sheff's true character. A suspension for about 100 games might have been suitable, although if banned forever, it would send a good message to him, and many of the high salaried, pampered, self-centered players of today.
    If somehow, he does manage to get 500 HRs, he should be the ultimate proof, certain milestones are no longer "locks"' for the HOF.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Now ... I would place my money on the New York Mets.

/s/ JackWESQ