Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2008 W Burnished Platinum First Strikes -- where are they?

The only First Strikes I see on EBAY of the 2008 Burnished W Platinum Eagles are the $10 coin. Where are the others? Anyone know if any have been bought or sold anywhere?
Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson

Comments

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    The burnished FS is tough, but try to find a 2008-W proof FS!
  • Options
    In all honesty, how long do you really think that the "First Strike" designation will bring a premium for any series?

The way I see it sooner or later the "First Strike" designation will fade away like all fads eventually do. So IMHO the question is when not whether "First Strike" designation will lose favor.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you say "STRONG HANDS" They'll probably not change hands a lot.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    2008-w MS FS pops all grades.
    $25-51
    $50-45
    $100-53

Heritage=zero sales.

The 08 first strikes were purchased at a high price from the mint so maybe the owners are affraid of taking a big loss if they were to sell now.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    The 08 first strikes were purchased at a high price from the mint so maybe the owners are afraid of taking a big loss if they were to sell now.

I have a couple of FS eligible 2008 platinum proof sets; haven't bothered to submit them, especially since whatever premium they'll command probably won't put me in a profit position and grading expenses just puts me further behind. If they made 70s, maybe it would be worth it-- if/when I get around to grading them, I'll share the results.

I own a few 2008 FS burnished MS coins, but the premium over non FS coins doesn't cover the higher initial purchase price. These are low mintage coins, but with numbers higher than 2006 we'd need a larger collector base to see an appreciable uptick in numismatic premiums.

Dan
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    These folks want a lot for a anacs first day. Link
  • Options

<< <i>2008-w MS FS pops all grades.
    $25-51
    $50-45
    $100-53

Heritage=zero sales.

The 08 first strikes were purchased at a high price from the mint so maybe the owners are affraid of taking a big loss if they were to sell now. >>

The 2008-W burnished APEs represented a real problem for those wanting FS labels.
    Coins were released in early July just as platinum started a 4 week $800-$1000/oz plunge.

By early August I and likely many others had to decide what to do with those early coins.
    Keep coins sealed and go for FS labels or open them, cherrypick best and return rejects to mint and save hundreds/thousands of dollars.

I opened all my sets and kept the best examples and returned 80+%.
    I saved myself a huge amount of money.
    Think a BMW worth of savings!!

Bottom line...2008-W FS burnished uncirculated APEs were an aberration.
    You had to really, really want a FS label to justify NOT returning the APEs to the mint under the 30 day return period.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question of the moment for me was - would I rather have a shot at a 70 or a FS?

It wasn't a difficult choice. Not only that, but I'd make the same choice every time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input everyone.
    Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In all honesty, how long do you really think that the "First Strike" designation will bring a premium for any series?

The way I see it sooner or later the "First Strike" designation will fade away like all fads eventually do. So IMHO the question is when not whether "First Strike" designation will lose favor. >>

Been bringing a premium ever since it was introduced. Doesn't seem that it will let up any time soon. The ones that I believe will have long term collector value are the one year only (2006) NGC "First Strikes" lablels.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one set of Plat. 2008 W Burnished in NGC Early Releases which I bought just as after they pulled the burnished coins the first time - took a gamble that they would not be back and lost.

I have one 2008 W Proof Plat in PCGS PF70DCAM FS. I thought that I got killed on it, but this of course depends on what happens with the final, audited #'s - can't wait to see those!

As pointed out, all FS coins were purchased at a huge premium relative to later coins. I'm sure that most are holding the very few that there are.

Anyone know the Pops of the 2008 W Plat Proof in PCGS FS??

Thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2008-w MS FS pops all grades.
    $25-51
    $50-45
    $100-53

Heritage=zero sales.

The 08 first strikes were purchased at a high price from the mint so maybe the owners are affraid of taking a big loss if they were to sell now. >>

The 2008-W burnished APEs represented a real problem for those wanting FS labels.
    Coins were released in early July just as platinum started a 4 week $800-$1000/oz plunge.

By early August I and likely many others had to decide what to do with those early coins.
    Keep coins sealed and go for FS labels or open them, cherrypick best and return rejects to mint and save hundreds/thousands of dollars.

I opened all my sets and kept the best examples and returned 80+%.
    I saved myself a huge amount of money.
    Think a BMW worth of savings!!

Bottom line...2008-W FS burnished uncirculated APEs were an aberration.
    You had to really, really want a FS label to justify NOT returning the APEs to the mint under the 30 day return period. >>

I addition, and just as important in the price drop in platinum and many returns during the 30 day window was the fact that PCGS was only accepting First Strike submissions from dealers at this time. They eventually reversed this policy, but many boxes were opened beacuase there was no reason to not look at the coin before submitting since they were not accepting first strike submissions.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an additional complication with 2008 APE FS... This was the time when PCGS took away FS submission ability for individuals. I think they restored this ability right after the FS eligibility date. I was PO'd.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was an additional complication with 2008 APE FS... This was the time when PCGS took away FS submission ability for individuals. I think they restored this ability right after the FS eligibility date. I was PO'd. >>

What I said image
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please tell me why a slab variety, as opposed to a true coin variety is worth ANY premium ("First Strike") especially when it is arteficial and does not actually fit the technical aspects of the term.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    2008 W APE Proof PCGS FS Pops

70 / Total Pop

$10..... 34/109
    $25..... 28/105
    $50..... 20/94
    $100.....29/145

original USM cost in May 08 for the 4pc set.....$4120
  • Options
    Wow. Now there's a whole bunch of 'em on EBAY!
  • Options
    coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>Wow. Now there's a whole bunch of 'em on EBAY! >>

That's really odd how there were very few 08Ws on EBay, and now there's two pages worth. What's that about?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    Maybe the true mintage numbers are getting ready to be released and a forum member IS DUMPING THEM (after months of pumping them) because his inside connection confirmed they will have a higher mintage than the 2006's. image
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like the proofs are bringing STRONG money!!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Hog -

are you referring to yourself? It's funny how you refer to mintages when mintages haven't been released at all.........

i'm glad you are so sure of yourself. maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's really odd how there were very few 08Ws on EBay, and now there's two pages worth. What's that about? >>

I've been watching eBay & all the coin auction sites and have seen dozens of $10 APE burnished-W's FS, but only 4 $10 proof 1st Strikes since the mint released them in 5/08.
  • Options
    <<I've been watching eBay & all the coin auction sites and have seen dozens of $10 APE burnished-W's FS, but only 4 $10 proof 1st Strikes since the mint released them in 5/08.>>

Well there are only 62 - 2008-W $10 MS70 FS on the pop report, so if you've seen dozens sold, they must be recycled a few times over.....
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Well there are only 62 - 2008-W $10 MS70 FS on the pop report, so if you've seen dozens sold, they must be recycled a few times over

he didn't say MS70 FS, just FS.
    Dan
  • Options
    NYCounsel....

no need to get "crazy" with the BOLD font........

where is your equally annoying buddy....HalfStrike?

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    7/8 you remembered my name, if only your memory was always that good.image

• Options
    Happily buying 2008 W $10 PCGS FS MS70 at $400+

FloridaBill
  • Options
    Halfstrike -

Ahhhh......invoking your name brought you out of hiding....

The annoying one has been awakened !!!!!!!!!!

Oh......No....the Pain......image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file