Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1889 Morgan Die Stress Fracturing

Ran across this issue while searching for VAM's, but couldn't attribute. What could have caused this? Starts at about the P in Pluribus and ends at the S.
Grade opinions welcomed.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Aggie

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I believe that is simply die fatigue...No fracturing, just a wearing down of the die. It's pretty common, and adds no premium. I see a lot of this on 1886's for some reason. I'll see if I can find a picture for ya.

-Paul
  • Options
    What about the doubling of the B and S?

Gary
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about the doubling of the B and S?

Gary >>

Are you sure that's BS?

I see the B but not the S!

lol
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    It is just die wear as stated. That initself does not designate a specific VAM. The doubling will, so check that out on VAMworld.
  • Options
    Philly ran the Morgan dies till they were about to fly apart. Back then, I have a feeling the mindset was why do regular die changes for an unwanted coin that is just going to be bagged and stored for who knew how long. I have a 1888 that has an absoutely wretched reverse.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1889 shows obverse die stress in the fields near the date, under Liberty and to Liberty's left.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1889 is notorious for crappy, eroded dies. I'm not sure if die preparation or overuse is to blame, but I suspect the former. What you have is typical die erosion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file