Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bank is limiting Log Cabin Cents to 1 roll per customer

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
Today I stopped at a Bank of America in Torrance, CA (right outside of LA). I asked them if they had any of the new cents. They said they did but that they were only allowed to sell one roll per customer. I asked if I could have 2 and the teller went and asked his boss who told him no. Interesting, never heard of a bank limiting or caring about letting customers get coins from them when they have them. At least I got the one roll. The roll is reverse end out on both sides so I am not sure of mintmark. It is in one of those clear plastic rolls and you can see little waterspots on the edges all up and down the roll.

Comments

• Options
    Yup, there are some banks that will limit the new coins they get in to 1 roll per customer. This is not new to me. And realistically, to a bank that isn't able to order these new coins specially and have to receive them as they happen to come by chance, I find that policy fair.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking on limited or hard to get rolls such as these, banks do limit their "customers" to only one roll apiece. Note I said "customers" since some banks will not sell you a roll unless you have an "account" with them.

There is no law that says they have to do business with you so they always look out for the customers first.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wow, a whole roll. Pretty soft living. I remember Wednesday, 25 March 1964. Lines formed waiting for the banks to open at 12 noon.
    (That is when they opened on Wednesdays in the old days in this town.) Everybody wanted the new Kennedy halves. The US Treasury was limiting customers to 4 rolls apiece that day. Here, it was one new coin per person. Everybody paid with a dollar bill hoping for a second one in change. They each got an old half. The banks ran out of new halves and put a big dent in their stock of old halves. They didn't run out of old halves that day, but in a few months they were all gone.

For me, it was off to the dentist for my first root canal. Temperature that day was in the seventies, unseasonably warm for these parts.

Incidently, earlier in the week, a new Kennedy half was placed under a new mast on the Constitution. I updated Coin World on the story, but they refused to believe me. They said nobody could have gotten a half earlier than Wednesday.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Early in the prexie dollar program my bank said only one roll per customer. Now I get about 7 rolls at or around the fist day of release.

No banks have been able to provide me Log Cain rolls at all. I managed to get a few from my significant other who is a bookstore manager.
  • Options

<< <i>Generally speaking on limited or hard to get rolls such as these, banks do limit their "customers" to only one roll apiece. Note I said "customers" since some banks will not sell you a roll unless you have an "account" with them.

There is no law that says they have to do business with you so they always look out for the customers first. >>

Very true. I was at a bank a few weeks ago and asked the teller for a couple rolls of cents. She asked if I had an account and I said no, so she refused to give them to me. Kind of embarassing if you ask me...haven't been to any other banks Log Cabin searching since.

As for only offering 1 roll per customer, it makes sense. They're ordering them for use in circulation, not sell them by the roll to customers and in turn get more currency to have to order more again. JMO.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>At least I got the one roll. The roll is reverse end out on both sides so I am not sure of mintmark. It is in one of those clear plastic rolls and you can see little waterspots on the edges all up and down the roll. >>

Does anyone know how well the coins in those plastic rolls will hold up over time?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file