Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Seated Dollar Newp and a Question

Here's our only purchase at Baltimore, we had a bid on another seated dollar but got blown out, so much for the downswing in the market. image lol Also, for all those who hate the new NGC slabs, i LOVE them. You get to see almost the entire edge and the quality has gotten much, MUCH better, the prongs barely cover half of the raised rim area of the coin!

Now for my question, is this strike doubling on the reverse or a doubled die? I hope the pics are good enough to see. The mintmark, which i cutoff by accident, is not doubled whatsoever making me think that this is a doubled die but i'm almost useless when it comes to this stuff. Hope this pics can show what i clearly see in hand. image

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey spetty,
    Very nice coin.
    It is not a doubled die though, but shows strike doubling.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The denticles are doubled and so are the letters. Looks like strike doubling, but questionable?.......A very beautiful coin!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coin!

Oh, and it's definitley strike doubling.

-Paul
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Speety,

That's a great " only purchase " .

Looks like Strike Doubling, IMHO.
    Not all lettering has to be Strike Doubled.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>Speety,

That's a great " only purchase " .

Looks like Strike Doubling, IMHO.
    Not all lettering has to be Strike Doubled. >>

That's what I was wondering and figured, thanks! Just kinda interesting that all the devices and lettering around the mintmark show doubling, but not the mintmark itself.

I've seen mild strike doubling on some seated dollars before but never to this extent.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Great Newp There Spetty

Edited to add: and yes I purposely spelled your name the way I did image
  • Options

<< <i>Great Newp There Spetty

Edited to add: and yes I purposely spelled your name the way I did image >>

Either you have a REALLY great memory or you read my last name off the image....

And I STILL SWEAR i requested the right name... image

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>

Either you have a REALLY great memory or you read my last name off the image....

And I STILL SWEAR i requested the right name... image >>

By the status of my Latin Test today, my memory sucks image , but when it comes to this Forum, my memory is top notch. image
  • Options
    I love that date.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

And I STILL SWEAR i requested the right name... image >>

By the status of my Latin Test today, my memory sucks image , but when it comes to this Forum, my memory is top notch. image >>

I've got the same problem, just different class. image lol

• Options
    One bump for the day crowd then to the pits of the CU forum this thread will go...

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice. Congrats.
  • Options

<< <i>One bump for the day crowd then to the pits of the CU forum this thread will go... >>

Hey...all ya gotta do is put "ebay", "PayPal", "Post Office", "US Mint" and/or "Russ" in the title of the thread and it'll go Platinum... image

(Well...maybe not so much with "Russ" since he's been laying kind of low latelyimage )

BTW... nice Seated Dollar... since when are you into those? image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey...all ya gotta do is put "ebay", "PayPal", "Post Office", "US Mint" and/or "Russ" in the title of the thread and it'll go Platinum... image

(Well...maybe not so much with "Russ" since he's been laying kind of low latelyimage )

BTW... nice Seated Dollar... since when are you into those? image >>

You forgot the big "L" word, that'd make the thread double white nuclear hot!

And i've been picking a few small ones up here and there... image

• Options
    If that's all you purchased, then you purchased well!

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. I agree that it's strike doubling, due to the sharp drop-off, "shelf effect." Mine is an xf, and bright from a prior dipping, but I'm still glad to have a detailed example of this scarce date. Congrats!
  • Options
    Another nice addition to your Seated Liberty Dollars collection speety. I agree, there's not much of a downswing in the SLD market for the nicer examples but the 45-50 grades can be had at some decent prices right now imo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file