Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade This 1806 Quarter *New Pics

I'm still learning my new camera so the details are a bit smudge, but what do you think the grade would be? I personally see VF20 details and possibly some weekness of strike, but it shouldn't go lower than F12. I didn't think it looked cleaned. However, the reverse might have a cleaned spot

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to have VF details and has most certainly been stripped of its surfaces at least once.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    15-20 seems about right. Might be the camera, but the color sure is funky
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    It's not the camera, but my editing. I took the picture in a hurry, under bad lighting, and tried to get the colors with the photo editor. I know it didn't work. I will try again later.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    It looks to be a B-9 , R-1 , showing the start of die crumbling at the cud over STATES.
    From the somewhat blurred image it looks like somewhere around F-18 to VF-20.
    I guess the variety is common, but you don't see too many early quarters around
    these days.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Me thinks she's VF. And even if stripped as TomB remarks, me still likey!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    VF details, cleaned, net F
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I edited the pictures and with a close up of the surface and a die crack.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It still looks to have VF details and has still been stripped at least one time.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Yep, me definitely likey!!!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your coin is at least secondary toning. Which isn't such a bad thing if you like it and realize it. You might only see the bare spot on the reverse, but to my eyes
    the whole coin has been boinked with at some time. I hope you don't mind me posting my coin which is same date, and I think same variety. This, is a coin I would say hasn't been boinked with. Hope this helps......

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think your coin is at least secondary toning. Which isn't such a bad thing if you like it and realize it. You might only see the bare spot on the reverse, but to my eyes
    the whole coin has been boinked with at some time. >>

What he said.

As for grade....I am shocked that no one has called this an AU 58 yetimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin most likely is not original, but it isn't a bad coin. I like it as a VF20-VF30. The patchy toning and misc cartoon toning lead me
    to believe that the coin has been at least dipped/cleaned at some point.

I hope people don't mind if I post a few pics here. This is what I look for when buying early 19th cent silver. the following are a dime,quarter and half with nice even grey color. Now are these three coins fully original? who knows, but I like their look

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30 details... (cleaned & retoned).
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info and pictures. I will go with the majority here and say possibly VF, cleaned and retoned. Always goo to see pictures of type coins.
  • Options
    Im thinking VF-25

Nice find

Tom
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Holy Crap! A Grade the coin thread with a Below MS coin! You have got to be kidding me! No Friggin way!

OMG,
    WTF,
    BBQ,
    ROFLcopter!

Purple

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file