Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

In your Registry: What coin(s) CANNOT be found, at any price?

Even with the cash to spend, are there some coins in your Registry you just CAN'T find? For me it's the 1976 type I Ike in MS66 and the 1976 clad Kennedy is MS67. Where are they?

(Also, PROBLEM FREE circulated Commemoratives- I haven't found one in over five months to add other than Greg's PO01 Columbian).

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    For me it is a 1975S PR69DCAM and a 1976SPR69 DCAM. just can't find'em ebay, dealers shows ... hopefully by 2002
  • Options
    ABRUZZO & FLORENZANO ENTERPRISE SET only has statehood proofs, so wheres my pr70dcam statehood?
    pcgs that is

hellllllllllllllloooooooo

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    When I was active in MS Modern, it was a Platinum MS-70 piece. 1998 had like 40 of them graded, but I have never seen one offered for sale anywhere.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    For me, it is an 1861 Dime and Half Dime in MS-63: Do they even exist? I did find a PO01 1793 Chain Cent, but it went for too much.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    pontiacinf,State Quarters that's eazy,send Mitch blank check to buy back the 28 pf70 coins now graded. gary
    The Victorian Collection
    EMAIL:
    relictrader@suddenlink.net
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I can't find a nice nice problem-free bust and seated coins in the grade before the first big price jump that aren't listed as if they were in the grade after the jump. All coins in PQ fine are offered as if they were VF, VF coins are called XF, etc.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    The one coin I have never seen (on ebay, shows, shops, auctions, etc) is a measley 1976s MS68 Ike Dollar......where the heck are they??imageimageimageimage
    Although, I'm really needing one, I doubt it would go into a registry set, but may perhaps one day.image

Ummmm.....I would like to know from those of you with one in your registry set, where you got it or any sources you may wish to pass on. imageimage

Coinster
    Collector of U.S. Type Coins and all Kansas Nationals
  • Options
    In my MS modern commemorative gold set I can't seem to find anyone willing to part with the 1994 World cup or 1996 Olympic cauldron in 70.
    Michael
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DCAM Liberty Nickels. Current pop, 2. One for each type. I hope more come out. For the Mint State set, finding nice original, clean, untoned coins is tough to do.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    GARY
    I ALREADY SPOKE WITH MITCH ABOUT THAT POSSIBLITY, BUT THE NUMBERS ARE A LITTLE "LOFTY"

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Where are the 1978D MS67 and 1978 PR-70DCAM? image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Top of my wish list is a 1931S Lincoln in ms67 - it is pop 0 but the underpop is 50, so you would think one of these days someone will get lucky. The 1930S is the latest date Lincoln not to have any 67's at all graded.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh - the 1877 Philly trade dollar in fully struck PCGS MS65! Doesn't exist!
  • Options
    Up until last week I would have said a DCAM pre '50 proof Jeff. Then one showed up on TeleTrade. So one was found, but the price? it could have been yours for a little over $10K after expenses. It looked like it never met the reserve.
  • Options
    for me its the proof 68 buffalo nickels in virtually any date..just cant seem to find any..also tough are early proof walkers in proof 68...and some early proof gold that i am to afraid to even mention for fear i would buy it if i found it..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a common date bust half fully struck, and with no high point friction on the hair curls, cheek, wingtips, etc. Probably <1% of the surviving UNC's (MS60-67) meet this requirement.

My personal favorite are "common date" pre-1852 seated quarters in gem condition. This has been on my want list since the early 1980's. Though PCGS has graded 20 or so pieces 65-66, and NGC a similar amount, I cannot recall seeing a truly "all-there" original coin with obvious full blazing luster toned or not since the 1970's. Did not see one during the 1989-1990 market either. I'm sure they're out there (or it's out there) but the vast majority are lackluster, with friction, and significant contact marks or hairlines. Anyone got one?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSDG - California Small Denomination Gold - Period 1 round dollars. BG600 series. Very challenging.
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    1971 PCGS PR69DCAM Kennedy or Jefferson...don't laugh! I have been looking for one for a LONG time.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    Welcome CalGold ! You've got me by one coin! Those dollars are harder and more expensive. I don't have either.... yet image

Monsta, I don't want to say what I paid for my '71 Jeff in 69 DCAM. I remember buying it. They seller was asking a grand. He took quite a bit less. The '69 was hard at that time but not as hard. There are only 12 '71s in 69 DCAM and 20 '69s. Tougher than people might think. There were only 3 when I bought mine. Be patient there will probably be more...
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    There may be more...I have two in at PCGS right now...we'll see. In JFK proofs, only 17 have made 69DCAM, no 70DCAMs...by far the toughest date in 69DCAM (not counting SMS or AccentHair). I have never even seen one offered anywhere.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I continue Diogenes-like on my endless quest for a 1875 PR66 PCGS Three Cent Nickel. image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for a 1921 Proof Morgan (chapman). Been looking for 3 years now. Found a couple of Zerbies but no chapmans...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Monstavet, you are right on the money! I have been looking for a PF69DCAM 1971 Kennedy since day one. I know they exist but who's willing to part with one? image
    Michael
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    i hear ya david about that 3 cent...
    bruce
  • Options
    I had a 71s 50c PR69DCAM A couple of years ago I paid $1050 and sold it for $2300 if my memory is right six months after I bought it. I also am after the 71 5c in Pr69DCAM in PCGS I have two ICG PR69DCAM that I will be poping out and a 68DCAM NGC they might be Cameo coins I tried slabbing some 71 5c The best I could get was 67Cam
  • Options
    when I took on the 1934-58 registry set I never dreamed I wouldn't be able to find some of the coins.
    I thought for sure they were available if you had the money. but (as you all kenw already) lol.

I still cant find a 1953-p cent in ms67. it's just not available.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been looking for almost two years for PCGS AU55 nice original 1839-D quarter-eagle and half-eagle. I have seen one 1839-D quarter eagle and it had a big clash mark right on the nose. Where are these coins? Are they really that hard to find?