Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

how's this for a misleading listing?

derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    It's pretty misleading what with the picture and all, but at least they're not asking $1,000 for it.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's misleading about it? He tells you just exactly what he is selling.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's misleading about it? He tells you just exactly what he is selling. >>

You are better than I am. I cannot tell if he is selling a $50 gold coin or not. I would assume it was a token, but the $50 in the title and the picture of an NGC gold buffalo one ounce coin have me confused.
    Tom

• Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    It states "clad" in the title
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's misleading about it? He tells you just exactly what he is selling. >>

You are better than I am. I cannot tell if he is selling a $50 gold coin or not. I would assume it was a token, but the $50 in the title and the picture of an NGC gold buffalo one ounce coin have me confused. >>

The seller could have at least cropped the Buffalo so the holder wouldn't be a part of the picture, and then magnified it 100x so buyers wouldn't need a loupe to see it.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Agreed. Not a problem since we all know that every eBay buyer reads and comprehends every word in a listing.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    clearly against eBay policy...reported
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

I agree. The seller is vague about the coin. He makes it seem like a perfect copy that isn't the "real" coin!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options

<< <i>

Agreed. Not a problem since we all know that every eBay buyer reads and comprehends every word in a listing.

Russ, NCNE >>

You're right. It isn't a problem. People (at least anyone of legal age and mental capacity--both of which are required by Ebay to open an account) who cannot be bothered to check out what they are buying deserve absolutely no sympathy.
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    Not only is clad in the title there are many more clues in the discription. "But here is your Opportunity To Own A Flawless Tribute Of This Majestic Coin. Layered In Pure 24K Gold Using The Utmost In Precision Embossing Technology To Show Every Last Detail Of The Indian Chief On the Obverse And All The Prowess and Grandeur Of The American Bison On the Reverse.

There is only limited availability of these absolutely beautiful Tributes."
    Tributes,Layered,Embossing If one does not know what these terms mean one might not what to be buying coins on ebay or any other venue for that matter untill they sharpen up thier numismatic word skills.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not only is clad in the title there are many more clues in the discription. "But here is your Opportunity To Own A Flawless Tribute Of This Majestic Coin. Layered In Pure 24K Gold Using The Utmost In Precision Embossing Technology To Show Every Last Detail Of The Indian Chief On the Obverse And All The Prowess and Grandeur Of The American Bison On the Reverse.

There is only limited availability of these absolutely beautiful Tributes."
    Tributes,Layered,Embossing If one does not know what these terms mean one might not what to be buying coins on ebay or any other venue for that matter untill they sharpen up thier numismatic word skills. >>

A prospective buyer should not have to decipher "clues" to figure out what is being offered for sale. A listing should be clear and concise. If a photo is used it should be a photo of what is being sold. If it is not a photo of what is being sold, the description should clearly say so. This listing reminds me of one of those full page car dealership advertisements that leaves the reader wonder "just what the hell are they selling and for how much." I do agree with you on one thing; the seller is clearly searching for a buyer who knows little about numismatics. And here lies the problem: As more non collectors seek the safe haven of gold ownership, sellers like this will have something to offer them.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Listed under "bullion", which it clearly is not.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A prospective buyer should not have to decipher "clues" to figure out what is being offered for sale. >>

Correct. Or, to put it another way, the ignorance of the average eBay buyer is not justification for bad seller behavior.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭

<< <i>A prospective buyer should not have to decipher "clues" to figure out what is being offered for sale. A listing should be clear and concise. If a photo is used it should be a photo of what is being sold. If it is not a photo of what is being sold, the description should clearly say so. This listing reminds me of one of those full page car dealership advertisements that leaves the reader wonder "just what the hell are they selling and for how much." I do agree with you on one thing; the seller is clearly searching for a buyer who knows little about numismatics. And here lies the problem: As more non collectors seek the safe haven of gold ownership, sellers like this will have something to offer them. >>

<< <i>You're right. It isn't a problem. People (at least anyone of legal age and mental capacity--both of which are required by Ebay to open an account) who cannot be bothered to check out what they are buying deserve absolutely no sympathy >>

I agree with the second statement. That is all.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    wow, almost word for word from HSN....

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

This is the greatest and best coin in the world. . . tribute.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Listed under "bullion", which it clearly is not. >>

This so-called "tribute" has no place in the bullion category. Seller's text may be strictly accurate but is deceitful.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Clearly...If you cannot read you shouldn't be buying stuff on E-bay....
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭
    The seller knows that what he is doing is misleading, but does it anyway. Some people have no integrity. If it were not for scams, E-bay would be a wonderful place to shop and sale.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worse than this
    Freshly made for this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>The seller knows that what he is doing is misleading, but does it anyway. Some people have no integrity. If it were not for scams, E-bay would be a wonderful place to shop and sale.image >>

People who are too busy rubbing their hands together and slavering at the mouth thinking that they are going to rip some dealer who doesn't know what he has to even read the auction listing are AT LEAST as guilty as the dealer who baits a trap.

A buyer who thinks that he is going to ripoff a 1000 dollar coin for 20 bucks is every bit as scummy as this seller.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    The $20 BIN kind of gives it away as not being a gold coin. I suppose if you insisted he take more he probably would!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    At the very least he contradicts his description of the "coin", title refers to "22K Clad," listing states "Layered 24K".

Obviously not the $50 Buffalo, but which is it 22K or 24K?
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>No worse than this
    Freshly made for this thread. >>

Yeah this guy is clearly trying to confuse buyers as to what are key date coins. image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I find the fact that he used a photo of a real 2006 Gold Buffalo in an Early Release NGC Slab to be just a bit misleading since he's not really selling an NGC Graded coin.

That would be just as misleading as a seller presenting pictures from an automobile promotional flyer for a brand new 1966 Mustang when in fact the seller was selling a 1975 Mustang II. Would that be misleading?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Not if he stated several times (as was done here) that he was selling a '75. Once again, if people weren't so interested in ripping off sellers that they can't be bothered to read the description then sellers wouldn't bait hooks.

Do I do business this way? No, and I don't recommend that others do either. However, buyers who allow themselves to be taken while trying to do the same to sellers earn no sympathy.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like no one has taken the bait so far. I guess eBayers aren't as dumb as we think they are. But then again, it only takes two idiots to get into a bidding war.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The too-small-to-see-anything photo tips the balance for me into the Deception end of the pool, versus the Just Shameless Marketing Hype For a POS end.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    ......to put it another way, the ignorance of the average eBay buyer is not justification for bad seller behavior.

I would ask, "is there justification for bad seller behavior?"

What about the ignorance of the 'average' home buyer just a few years ago?
    We can all say, "What were you thinking?" getting a $500K loan when you make 25K a year.

Bottom line is when unscrupulous people, be they sellers, loan agents, CEOs, TPG....., we all pay for it in the end (figuratively).

TwoSides2aCoin, you're close, just replace the picture with one of a graded IHC & see what happens.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file