Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the history of "Dan Brown" the Denver, Colo. dealer?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought stuff from his shop as a YN.

When did he open his shop, when did it close, is he still around, what did he specialize in, or was he a generalist?

Comments

• Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I believe he was the co-author of a book on grading...Brown and Dunn.

And I also believe his son operates a coin shop in Oklahoma City, OK...Brown's Coins

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Dan Brown is not the Brown from B & D. That is another Brown whose son may operate the shop in OK.

Dan passed away many years ago, and was a well respected dealer by both the public and his colleagues.

I do believe that he had the opportunity to at least see one of the 64-D dollars.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe he was the co-author of a book on grading...Brown and Dunn.

And I also believe his son operates a coin shop in Oklahoma City, OK...Brown's Coins

njcc >>

That was Martin Brown who co-authored Brown and Dunn and is the father of the owner of Brown's Coins in OKC.

Dan Brown was the local dealer who was told the story by a representative of the Denver mint that employees were allowed to each purchase two 1964 D Peace dollars and then told to return them. This is how the idea (mythical or not) that a few 1964 Peace dollars still exist.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Sorry...my mistake.image

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe he was the co-author of a book on grading...Brown and Dunn.

njcc >>

That was Martin Brown who co-authored Brown and Dunn and is the father of the owner of Brown's Coins in OKC.

Dan Brown was the local dealer who was told the story by a representative of the Denver mint that employees were allowed to each purchase two 1964 D Peace dollars and then told to return them. This is how the idea (mythical or not) that a few 1964 Peace dollars still exist. >>

I have a letter from Dan Brown somewhere that says that it was none other than the Superintendent of the Denver Mint at the time who told him that they had indeed sold 1964-D Peace dolllars to employees on the day of striking, but that they had retrieved them all.
    TD
    P.S.: edited to add: He never told me that he had seen one, or that any still existed, but only that the Mint had indeed sold them to employees and then retrieved them.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file