Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How Would You Grade This Coin? 1792 French Ecu

I recently got this piece in hand.

By purely technical standards, the coin is magnificent. Most of what appear as contact marks in the pictures are really just die defects. A purely technical grade for this piece is probably MS67 (BTW, the pictures make the coin appear lower in grade than it actually is).

However, the eye appeal is generally lacking. The strike is a little soft, and not all of the planchet granularity was struck out, leaving the luster somewhat hazy in the central portions of the piece. Worst of all, there are major planchet adjustment marks on the reverse (mint made).

It will soon be sent to PCGS. What do you think they'll grade it?

Be brutal if you like! I can take it.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I would not be surprised if PCGS put it in a Genuine slab.

With those adjustment marks I would probably call it a 63.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd expect a 64.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I like it! adjustment marks and all! image

I don't know how TPGs handle such things, but I should hope it can score at least 64, some of the other defects (like below the date) may hold it back from anything higher. Regardless, if I were looking for one of these I'd be willing to pay well for that example.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It is a very nice piece! How common is it to find this series with so little wear? Did these circulate here in the States during that period? -Dan
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Will, I don't know how to grade these, but I'd say 63/64 area.
    It almost looks like there's wear on the obverse, but that could just be the weak striking.
  • Options
    How common is it to find this series with so little wear?

It's a hoard coin. Most of the coins from the hoard are choice frosty uncs with strike and planchet "issues", like the coin in the OP.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>How common is it to find this series with so little wear?

It's a hoard coin. Most of the coins from the hoard are choice frosty uncs with strike and planchet "issues", like the coin in the OP. >>

Any more info on this hoard? Sounds interesting.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first ecu had some heavy adjustment marks to it. (Not that heavy, but then again, it was nowhere near that nice a grade, either).

I have no idea how it will grade, but I would not be surprised to see 63 on it. The obverse is quite handsome.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Ok, so explain what "adjustment" marks are.....

Edited:

Finally found somewhere that explained it. Basically the mints would "scratch" or grind off pieces of the coin to make it weigh an exact weight...
  • Options
    It basically is when the planchet which was struck as a coin and was heavier than the coin should have weighed. They would then scratch off any extra silver to make the weight correct. -Dan
  • Options
    Therefore, "adjustment marks" would TECHNICALLY be after minting marks..... The coin was minted, weighed to much, so someone took an awl to it and scratched it up... Doesn't sound "mint state" to me...
  • Options
    LOL! You are some 'Dick Tracy"! You beat me to the punch. How much are they payin' ya!! image
  • Options
    It is pretty common for that era, but you are correct on the fact that there are probably better examples of the coin out there.
  • Options
    Har... not much but you know what????? In this crappy economy I have ton of job security!! When I read what "adjustment marks" were I was like... "WHAT THE?!?!?" That just seems a harsh way to get your coinage right and a heck of a way to make a counterfeiters day!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Har... not much but you know what????? In this crappy economy I have ton of job security!! When I read what "adjustment marks" were I was like... "WHAT THE?!?!?" That just seems a harsh way to get your coinage right and a heck of a way to make a counterfeiters day! >>

I actually meant my comment in a good way. Your detective skills are a plus for these forums! -Dan
  • Options
    Without knowing the series, I would have to give it a 63. If there are better examples, then a 61would be appropriate considering the adjustment marks. The only problem that I have with the coin is the possible rub on the highpoints of the obverse as photographed. If there is no rub on the high points then I would bump it up.
  • Options

<< <i>Therefore, "adjustment marks" would TECHNICALLY be after minting marks..... The coin was minted, weighed to much, so someone took an awl to it and scratched it up... Doesn't sound "mint state" to me... >>

No, the planchets were adjusted before striking.
  • Options
    Any more info on this hoard?

Sorry, I don't know the details. I'd guess I've seen a couple dozen of the coins, though.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Therefore, "adjustment marks" would TECHNICALLY be after minting marks..... The coin was minted, weighed to much, so someone took an awl to it and scratched it up... Doesn't sound "mint state" to me... >>

No, the planchets were adjusted before striking. >>

Looking at that coin it looks like it was done after the striking....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, the planchets were adjusted before striking. >>

Looking at that coin it looks like it was done after the striking.... >>

I can assure you it wasn't.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I like it and would grade it either 63 but morelikely a 64.

This coin begs a sad question- are the adjustment marks severe and localized to the point that it may not grade?

I think it should grade, but there is a small chance it may not.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>First, I like it and would grade it either 63 but morelikely a 64.

This coin begs a sad question- are the adjustment marks severe and localized to the point that it may not grade?

I think it should grade, but there is a small chance it may not. >>

It's possible, but I currently own an NGC MS64 1789 Ecu that has equally intense adjustment marks, so I'm under the impression TPGs still certify them.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had PCGS BB a 17th C. British coin for haymarking. I think they would 'Genuine' this coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I'm confused. The adjustment marks of which you speak are the long grooves on the reverse of the coin, correct? If these were made to the planchet, wouldn't they be removed by striking the coin? From the look of it, after the coin was struck, someone scratched up the reverse. Anyhow, I'm obviously not an expert...but it doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    Thats what I was thinking also. In looking at the coin some places that the marks would have been removed from striking are still there..
    (EDAT) : I'm not slamming the coin, I am just curious as to how to tell when it is post mint or pre mint marks. How was the coin struck? Hammered? Rolled? I have no idea... I am hoping someone can fill my knowledge gaps in here.
  • Options
    Here's an interesting article offering an alternate theory for the origin of adjustment marks on Mexican republic coinage:

Adjustment Marks
    What Are they?
  • Options
    GREAT READING!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Thats what I was thinking also. In looking at the coin some places that the marks would have been removed from striking are still there..
    (EDAT) : I'm not slamming the coin, I am just curious as to how to tell when it is post mint or pre mint marks. How was the coin struck? Hammered? Rolled? I have no idea... I am hoping someone can fill my knowledge gaps in here. >>

Struck with a screw press.

The planchet adjustments were too deep to be entirely removed by striking.

• Options
    Well, maybe it's because I haven't seen this up close and personal.... this is the first time I've ever heard of "adjustment" marks... I have seen coins that have been struck through objects before and they didn't look like this. Again, I haven't seen "adjustment" marks before so this is new..... I will say that you have a beautiful coin...on the obverse image
  • Options
    Not knowing how common adjustment marks are on these particular pieces, I'll throw a guess in at 62 unless the adjustment marks are commonplace. In that case, I'm in for 63.

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

Adjustment marks do not preclude Flowing hair coinage from grading so I can't see how that would hold this coin back. The adjusting was done at the mint with a file or rasp and the services don't see this as damage.

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, there is no lock that this coin will grade... I think it should, especially if we consider the history and technology that went into the production of this coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.