Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Care to speculate on what the government's position would be if................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
............. the events in the Nicolas Cage movie "National Treasure" were true?

What would Uncle Sam and the State Of New York do if the treasure (covering thousands of years and originating from around the world) found in the movie was actually found in real life under a church in New York City?

I have no clue, however I suspect that person(s) who discovered the treasure would not be given a 1% finders fee (as Nicolas Cage received in the movie).

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You appear to be having a longacre type of day.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I suspect you would find claims being made by a large number of other countries on various parts of the treasure.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Spain would claim New York is part of Spain. image
    Ed
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wan't New York City called New Amsterdam initially? If so, would not the Dutch have a better claim than Spain?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wan't New York City called New Amsterdam initially? >>

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it I can't say -- people just liked it better that way...
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm......did you find something?

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would belong to the property owner where it was found. After all the law suites, it then would belong to all the lawyers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    It would depend on whether it was found a by a pirate or a ninja (reference other recent thread with inane question).
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would probably be held up in court proceedings and the lawyers would make a bundle.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All your base are belong to us.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The Rock is the movie that comes to my mind. You would never have known the character played by Nicholas Cage ever existed. If the treasure did exist we would never know, and the government would keep it that way.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AIG would get it and charge you 90% for finding it for them.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    You guys are going to hate me but I melted it all down, made a bunch of blobs which I placed in a rock tumbler with some agates and other hard rocks, to make them look like nuggets. Then I filed for a mining claim and I have been slowly selling it off as "finds" on my claim.

The hardest part was sneaking it out of there.

A lot of work but I receive 100% less taxes!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If I knew half of what the Government knows......

I believe that I would be very, very, scared.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file