Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How did the extra $20.00 needed to complete the sale of the Fenton 1933 double eagle get paid?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
In addition to the bid price, an extra $20.00 was required to complete the sale and purchase of the coin [Was this extra $20.00 needed to "monetize" the coin? If not, what is the purpose for charging an extra $20.00?].

Was this extra $20.00 paid in cash [coin or currency?] or was it paid with the bid price as part of a check or wire transfer? If it was paid in coin or currency does anyone know what specific coin[s] or currency was used? And what happened to the extra $20.00 [was it simply placed into the till along with other coins/currency, thus losing its separate identity or was it segregated and identified for what it is]?

Comments

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

The amount owed was paid with 20 1964 Peace dollars. image

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

?
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was simply added to the hammer price of the coin, and when the proceeds were split the government got the extra sawbuck.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I thought there was a story about this very question. And if I remember correctly the $20 was paid in cash with a $20 bill. I am not sure of the series.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Someone posted a video of it, they paid cash if I am not mistaken.

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    And if by chance the Langboards or (whoever they are) get the 10 double eagles, they probably will not have the extra $200 in cash after paying all of the court costs. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And if by chance the Langboards or (whoever they are) get the 10 double eagles, they probably will not have the extra $200 in cash after paying all of the court costs. image >>

If they prove their case, they would prove that Izzy already paid the $200.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The $20 bill to "monetize" the coin should have been auctioned for charity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file