Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know the story behind who created the official document "monetizing" the Fento

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recall that a fancy looking document was created and signed by government mucky mucks to memorialize and document the formal "monetization" of [and the subsequent transfer of ownership of] the Fenton 1933 double eagle to the person who bought it at the July 30, 2002 auction.

Does anyone know the stroy behind the creation of this document? Who came up with the wording on it? Who came up with the design of it? Who created the original document [the BEP?]. Were there any copies made or duplicate originals made. Who signed the original? Etc.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect this is in the book "Illegal Tender" You should get a copy.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US Treasury created the nonsensical concept of "monetization" so they could have an excuse to confiscate any 1933 double eagles.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent question. It would be a great interview, if you could find the person. I don't believe they've ever been named, it is someone hiding behind a lot of bureaucracy.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    BEP created the document in consultation with the Mint Director. BEP files are in good order - just write them and ask who engraved the document.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    SanctionII March 30, 2009

I recall that a fancy looking document was created and signed by government mucky mucks to memorialize and document the formal "monetization" of [and the subsequent transfer of ownership of] the Fenton 1933 double eagle to the person who bought it at the July 30, 2002 auction.

Does anyone know the stroy behind the creation of this document? Who came up with the wording on it? Who came up with the design of it? Who created the original document [the BEP?]. Were there any copies made or duplicate originals made. Who signed the original? Etc.

I have not seen the document but, if memory serves correctly, the 1933 double eagle was (or is) on public
    display somewhere in New York City. One would think that the document would accompany the coin. Perhaps
    one of the posters to this forum has seen the display.

Denga

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file