Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tales from the till: found in change

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Going through the quarters from the laundry machines in my buildings is one of my geeky joys.

This was today's trophy:

The till is usually somewhere between $250 and $350--maybe 1,250 quarters--on average. This is the 9th silver quarter I've found since mid '05, but the 7th I've found in the last 14 months. Though the number of quarters has increased about 40% in that period of time (I raised the rates), there certainly seems to be some more significant factor or group of factors resulting in these coins making their way back into circulation at a faster pace. Tight economy leading to more change jars being dumped? Circulation of state quarters making anomalies less easy to spot? Any other thoughts?
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Tight economy leading to more change jars being dumped? >>

I'd say yes, definitely. Those large change jugs that have been sitting in the bedroom for years are being cashed in to buy groceries.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tight economy leading to more change jars being dumped? >>

I'd say yes, definitely. Those large change jugs that have been sitting in the bedroom for years are being cashed in to buy groceries. >>

• Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    love finding hidden treasures in change
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Better check your tenants. A coin collector's wife is raiding his quarter collection for laundry change.
    Paul
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Better check your tenants. A coin collector's wife is raiding his quarter collection for laundry change. >>

All college kids. Two cycles of tenants in that period of time. And the most I've found in any month is two (a load of laundry costs $1.50 or 6 quarters to wash, another $1 to dry). So it could be raiding daddy's coin jar. But that seems very unlikely.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some kid got into his father's coin collection. Nothing new here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file