Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI Wax Pack Question for all

Before I shoot my wife maybe I could get some advice here. I have a 1959 Topps Baseball 1 cent Wax Pack graded GAI 8 that I was considering to either sell as is or turn into PSA for grading. My dear wife wanted to look at the graded wax pack and for what ever reason decided to squeeze it, resulting in a broken (shattered) stick of gum that rattles pretty bad when you move the pack. Does the broken gum make it go down in value? Is it still considered an 8 by GAI, should I send it to PSA for grading or just open the pack and hope for a Mantle? Keep in mind that I paid $400.00 for this pack. Finally what to do with the wife, problem is that she is a good cook, barefoot and pregnent with my third? A real dilema, cards... or the wife....

My Current eBay Auctions

Comments

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I can't help you with the pack grade but I do suggest not shooting the wife.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're sitting on the couch in the living room enjoying your PSA cards and watching a good ballgame on TV, then suddenly the wife comes out from the kitchen yelling at you...What did you do wrong?

You made the chain too long.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I thought you were selling everything?
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Your best bet..... rip the pack and provide us with scans!!
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your best bet..... rip the pack and provide us with scans!! >>

Agreed. Rip the pack and tell the wife that now you have to go out and buy a new one to replace it.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    I am selling everything that is why it was out, I was deciding if I wanted to sell it as is or get it PSA graded before selling it.
  • Options
    Dont rip it, one cent wax packs are best left unopened due to gum damage. In this case, you are looking at wax damage too. I've opened a few vintage packs and have found the gum damage to go as far as 4 cards deep. Lastly, you do understand that you can see through the wax paper and figure out what card is in there? I'm sure whomever graded it before did just that. Chalk it up as a slight loss, do you really think it's worth going to jail and telling yourself, while screaming in pain, that your wife broke the gum??? I could picture the guard looking into your cell and seeing you curled up half naked in the corner, with your thumb in your mouth, repeating softly "the stick of gum is shattered,the stick of gum is shattered".
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry too much about the gum. Since it's a GAI graded pack, that probably means the pack was actually opened, resealed, and contains banged up commons with wax stains on the back of each card, and a piece of gum from a 1982 wax pack.
  • Options
    I already cried in the fetal position with the thumb and stammering, in the end my wife gave into letting me get 11 PSA graded N27 Allen and Ginter cards (World Beauties Series 2) But I will say that it is hard having that pack sit there and not opening it. I see one GAI 6 listed on ebay for $1,895.95 I wonder what my gum damaged GAI 8 would bring in?

1959 Wax Pack on eBay
  • Options
    Are GAI graded packs really that bad?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are GAI graded packs really that bad?

The packs with the older flip are generally very reliable with some exceptions...I wouldn't trust anything in the newer flip unless I knew the source...I've opened dozens of GAI graded baseball packs (all with the older flip), and only had a couple questionable or resealed ones...

By the way, the auction for the 1959 pack you linked to is a 5-cents pack which included 5 cards...

Edit: As an unopened collector, the shattered gum would decrease the appeal of the pack for me, personally...if I was planning to open the pack not so much so...but because this is a penny pack, chances are the persona purchasing it will not be opening it as there is no upside to these packs other than their scarcity..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I guess if the wife was to squeeze something so hard it broke, maybe it was better that it was the gum. image
  • Options
    Here's the pics of the pack, is this considred the older or the newer ones your talking about?

imageimage
  • Options
    leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    That's the old GAI labels, the oldest and most reliable of the 3 labels I've seen
    I've never opened anything that old -- I'd sell it as is if it's a penny pack w/ 1card
  • Options
    From reading some posts on this forum, with some penny packs the card can be seen...I guess maybe not this one.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess if the wife was to squeeze something so hard it broke, maybe it was better that it was the gum. image >>

Yea...usually it's the bank account that gets squeezed. LOL
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    As a couple of posters already mentioned, that is the OLD slab and, IMO, the most reliable.

IMO, NEVER open penny packs. As already stated, you probably have gum AND wax stains on the card. Those packs are worth more sealed!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the second oldest flip (after the one with bar code on back), and one of the reliable ones..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.