Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1925-S Peace Dollar - Graded Properly????

What do you think of this one? It's PCGS graded as AU55. The last photo is the photo from the eBay sale. I am not happy with it and I plan to file a dispute. To me, the photo looks a durn site better than the actual coin.

Here is a detail shot of the neck area.

And, here is the photo from the auction. I haven't touched it.

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 55 to me.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Looks 53 to me, but I haven't seen the coin in-hand. Is your dispute going to be with the seller, or PCGS, or Ebay, or the internet, life in general?
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get too bunched up about it. It is after all a circulated coin.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Looks correctly graded. MS60s are usually just as heavily marked, but without the light rub.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    From your pic I thought AU so 55 may be generous, but from sellers pic I’d have thought 58...
    Either way -
    If it's in an approved 3rd party slab I don't think you'll get much sympathy from ebay in a dispute.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    this year usualy come's pretty well struck and finding a good unc. isnt hard to find. I would pass.

somthing going on with the nose though.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about putting that policy in place for my collection, bid on AU and expect MS.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    jjrrwwjjrrww Posts: 151 ✭✭
    My problem with it is that, in the seller photo, I can't see the marks on the neck. The photo looks beter than the coin does. When I look at it photo, I see a 55, shot at a 58. Decent looking coin, and fits into my set, and also my budget right now The surfaces in the seller photo just seem to be cleaner than on the coin itself. I figured the scratches in the field to the front of the nose were what made it a 55.

I was trying to purchase the coin, not the slab. The coin in the seller photo looks, to me like a halfway decent AU Peace Dollar, and better than the coin itself.

I think it's also a good idea to put coins like this out on these forums just to get different opinions. It also sharpens all of our grading skills, don't you think?
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lighting and the size of the photo I think have a lot to do with the difference in what is and is not seen from one to the other.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    I do enjoy threads like thisimage I ilke to test out the old grading skills as much as possible. I am confused though as to your dispute? The coin was a slabbed 55 and you recieved a slabbed 55. Maybe the photo seemed a little undergraded but thats what photos do sometimes.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    this is what i was talking about when ebay sellers simply tilt a coin
    just a wee bit to hide the imperfections. why juice or manipulate a pic
    when you can just tilt it a bit and hide things allowing bidders to go
    wild with their imagination.

having a smaller sized pic just adds to the aura of a great deal because
    you cannot see the problems that are not hidden by the tilt/lighting.

ask me.. you bid.. you won.. you keep. unless the auction states it has
    a liberal return policy.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they allow returns, and you dont like it, return it
    if not then it's yours,
    no need for a dispute
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are the images side-by-side sized similarly. The differences seem to me like they could be explained by lighting and such and not any messing with the image. Granted the auction image (the one on the left) looks nicer.

imageimage
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if they allow returns, and you dont like it, return it
    if not then it's yours,
    no need for a dispute >>

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Graded properly...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a LOT of tolerance for hairlines on PCGS AU silver dollars. I would just sell it rather than go through the hassle of an eBay dispute. Unless you asked the seller point blank if there were any hairlines and he/she said no, it would be kind of harsh to pursue a dispute.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it at 55
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Additionally, you can see the hairlines in the auction images, so it looks like what you see is what you got.
  • Options
    A dispute is not necessary. In my opinion, the seller did not misrepresent the coin.

If they have a return policy, return the coin to them. If they don't, you're stuck with it. But it'd be a real a$$hols move of you to file a dispute.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    jjrrwwjjrrww Posts: 151 ✭✭
    I've corresponded with the seller and we've worked something out. We're cool.

I think that my issue is that the original photo does indeed make the coin look better than it actually does in hand I wanted a coin that looks like the original photo. That "look" more closely matches the other coins in my set, which was what I was after, as I was trying to upgrade a notch. The coin I have is raw, and not quite a 55.

I'm just putting together a set because I like the design. 1925-S Peace Dollars do not show up around here, in any grade, unless they have been cleaned, etc. It just doesn't happen. I like to buy them raw and submit them myself, and I've lucked out and scored some homemade 63's and 64's in the common dates, and I felt I would settle for nice AU's for the semi-keys and keys.

We did get some great discussion out of this, though, and some mighty fine grading opinions, methinks!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file