Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about crossing to PCGS and attribution

I have a coin graded MS61 by NGC where the coin has become kocked (can't use correct spelling, since it is banned) partially sidewise in the fat NGC holder. Also, it isn't attributed as the scarcer variety, though I believe NGC will attribute it if I request it. But there is also another issue with this coin, since it is so darkly toned, that I worry PCGS might not cross it as MS61, or even MS60. So I have thought about cracking the coin out for a very slight dip before sending it to PCGS. I know that I could send it to NCS for proper cleaning, and then have them send it to NGC for proper grading, but this is a very small coin, and the new NGC tabbed holders really are atrocious for coins smaller than a dime, since the tabs extend into the devices of the coin. So that is out of the question.

So will PCGS attribute a valid well documented variety, even though they do not include that variety in their Registry Set?

And should I leave the coin in the NGC holder or crack it out before sending it in, so that I can very carefully lighten the toning just a tad?

I really would appreciate comments about what others would do in this situation, even if I end up doing something else. Here are images of the coin in question, which is a 1914-S (Long Bar Variety) US-PI Ten Centavos.

BTW, I traded another coin to jetblack74Oil for this example, and I believe we were both pleased with the transaction.

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

toning doesn't effect the MS versus circulated grades. it either is worn by circulation, or it isn't. If a company doesn't grade a coin as MS with no wear (or modest wear, as PCGS grading guide allows minor wear/cabinet friction up to MS67) because of dark toning, than the company doesn't grade properly. If you're concerned about lack of luster due to darker toning, that is allowed in the very low MS grades, which probably dictates why this coin is MS61.

If you think PCGS will only grade this coin MS as a 'dipped and stripped coin' even though it lacks wear, you're trusting the wrong company to grade this coin. sorry to be blunt.

Doug
  • Options
    I had read somewhere in PCGS's site that very dark toning would negatively affect grading. Perhaps I had misread or misunderstood, but I am certain they specifically mentioned that a coin with very dark toning would not receive a high grade. I guess by high grade they meant something like MS65 and above.

So will they attribute the Long Bar (cross bar on the 4 in the date) variety, even though they do not include that variety in their Registry Set?
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks good to me as it is now. Dipping it might reveal hairlines and the coin might not even grade. NCS does not conserve if they think the coin looks good and they would not be able to improve eye appeal. They do not have a grade guarantee as they used to before so the coin might be bb'ed even after being dipped by them.