Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"Special Moderns" aren't so special any more

When I first started collecting, special modern cards such as GU Jerseys, etc seemed to be very special. Now, it seems like they are a dime a dozen. Just commenting

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    bread, water and the wheel used to be special too..damn

JS
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bread, water and the wheel used to be special too..damn

JS >>

I'm still very appreciative of the wheel...especially when I have one hi Omaha H/L image
  • Options

<< <i>When I first started collecting, special modern cards such as GU Jerseys, etc seemed to be very special. Now, it seems like they are a dime a dozen. Just commenting >>

Probably because people finally figured out that the "game used" jersey pieces were obtained from jerseys bought at the local sporting goods store.
  • Options
    I agree, I don't buy into that they are game used for a second...when I get one out of a pack I look at them like a base card.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree, I don't buy into that they are game used for a second...when I get one out of a pack I look at them like a base card. >>

Do you have any "base cards" for sale?

Kevin
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When I first started collecting, special modern cards such as GU Jerseys, etc seemed to be very special. Now, it seems like they are a dime a dozen. Just commenting >>

Probably because people finally figured out that the "game used" jersey pieces were obtained from jerseys bought at the local sporting goods store. >>

"Modern crap" might be and probably is genuine, but in my opinion there's no doubt that most if not virtually all of the vintage "game used" stuff is garbage found in antique shops by the estate owners and sold to Topps as the genuine item. And Topps probably knows the stuff is garbage but they don't care, as long as buyers buy it.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been estimated that enough wood has been sold by those claiming it to be a piece from the Cross of Jesus Christ, that it would be enough wood to build a fleet of ships. LOL

I wonder how many ships could be built from bats claimed to be used by Ruth. LOL
  • Options
    Laugh it up, but the same guys authenticating some of these items for UD and Topps are the same ones authentication your vintage cards!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Laugh it up, but the same guys authenticating some of these items for UD and Topps are the same ones authentication your vintage cards!

JS >>

How can one authenticate where a piece of uniform material or worse yet bat came from ? There is no way to tell if the uniform piece came from Babe Ruth or the batboy or if that sliver of wood came from a bat used by Ted Williams or one used by Mario Mendoza.
  • Options
    Joe Stalin, I am not knocking modern cards, I enjoy collecting them as much as the next guy. To me these "game used" cards are pretty common. I don't have any for trade, I keep some of players I like, and the others go on ebay, usually not getting more than a dollar or two, unless its a bigger name.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Every last one of my Emmitt Smith jersey cards are authentic game used. Emmitt told me so.

So thereimage
  • Options

<< <i>Joe Stalin, I am not knocking modern cards, I enjoy collecting them as much as the next guy. To me these "game used" cards are pretty common. I don't have any for trade, I keep some of players I like, and the others go on ebay, usually not getting more than a dollar or two, unless its a bigger name. >>

See, here is the problem. When GU's first came out, they were only for well-known players I believe. Now, everybody you can think of has a GU jersey in his name.