Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Venezuela experts, please come in.

I was going through some '64 Topps Venezuela cards today and noticed a few with a copyright that only includes the line "T.C.G.," rather than "T.C.G. PRINTED IN U.S.A." as I expected.

How common is this and do both copyright versions exist for each card?

Any info you can share about the 1964s, and other years, is appreciated.

imageimage

imageimage
Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Options
    Canadians are stinky.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    So you're saying these aren't rare?
  • Options
    A little bit of self-bumpage for the morning crew.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

They were not printed in the USA. You can tell just by the paperstock that was used.The only other significant difference from the U.S. Topps was the print quality, namely a duller finish on the front.
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I am always looking for Colavito's if any of you have some Venezulan Colavito's for sale?

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>They were not printed in the USA. You can tell just by the paperstock that was used.The only other significant difference from the U.S. Topps was the print quality, namely a duller finish on the front. >>

Right, these have the proper cardstock, I'm not questioning whether or not they are actually Topps Venezuela.

However, it is my understanding that the late '50s through early '60s examples of the cards do in fact state "Printed in USA." Can you clarify this for me?
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    With no rhyme nor reason to it, there was a lot of inconsistency with the copyright labeling of the Topps Venezuela cards right from the initial 1959 set.

In the 1959 set, roughly half the cards have the exact same US copyright label on them, while the other half have a distinct Venezuelan label. For that year, the cards do not have any sort of variations, so only one type of copyright exists for each card.

In the 1960 set, the US copyright label was used on all but a small handful of cards, which were printed with no copyright (Yaz was one of them making his Venezuelan rookie easy to identify).

1962 cards are all in spanish on the backs, and there is no copyright information on the card.

1964's, which you have brought into question, have both the long and shortened US copyright labels, but are not known to vary from card to card. So, your Cicso card with the shortened copyright, when found on a Venezuela Topps issue, will always have that same copyright. There is only one single known copyright variation in the entire 1964 set, and it affects card #274, which is a checklist. That card is known to have been issued with both the long and short copyright's.

1966 cards have identical US copyrights to the 1966 US issue, except for the final series in the Venezuelan set, which has no copyright labels. That series begins with card 284.

1967 cards have no copyrights, the backs are entirely in spanish.

And 1968 cards all have a Venezuelan copyright label.

Hope this clarifies things.
  • Options
    Marc, I found a link to the site of a Venezuelan collector you posted in an old thread...apparently the 1964s had either of the copyrights..."TCG" or "TCG Printed in USA."

If there is a rhyme or reason to this, I don't know, but being that he has multiple examples of each style, I'd assume they must not be that rare. Hopefully I'll find out if each card was printed in runs of both or either/or in the future.

edited to add:

I had written this message before seeing Josh's post. Thanks for the info...that puts an end to that mystery. I figured that was the case, but I was hoping I had a few variations.