Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

newp - 1612 Saxony taler - DAV 7573

I picked this piece up at a local show today. Nothing extraordinary or rare here, but I liked the honest wear and appearance. This taler depicts Johann Georg I (Elector of Saxony from 1611 - 1656) holding a sword, with August (whom I assume refers to his grandfather who was the Elector of Saxony from 1553 to 1586) on the reverse surrounded by 18 busts. Can anybody help shed light on the significance of the 18 busts on the reverse?

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about that specific guy, but heraldry kicked into high gear and got a bit out of hand around this time. Those could all be the familial arms he claims or territories he oversees. There were a couple talers with nutty arms on them, which I can't find at the moment, but this is an example of things run amok:

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

a beautiful original piece with nice "skin", congrats!!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp. I've always loved the Saxony thalers with "sword on shoulder".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup. I didn't see you at the show, so you must have gotten there early. I seem to remember looking at that coin once even.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Sorry I missed you on Sunday. I have only found the time to make it twice in the last 7 months. Good memory on the saxony piece - I think he has had that one in his box of slabs for many months now. The price was right this month. I think he might be trimming down his inventory lately - his tables were packed with lookers and buyers.

Have you seen his 1 1/2 taler in the ngc slab from brunswick?
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Have you seen his 1 1/2 taler in the ngc slab from brunswick? >>

Yeah, I have seen it several times. I always stop and look thru his box of NGC coins as well as the other cases of misc stuff. He was actually pretty mellow yesterday.

Are you going to the big show at the Duke Energy Center next month?