Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How important is it to reach #1?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
It takes a certain competetive nature to enjoy the Registries. I'm come to realize there are two types or Registry Collectors.
The first live by the motto: "Second place means you are the first to loose". and the other group who collect for the shear joy of it.
Where do you fit in? How important is it your set(s) reach the front page and even more so, reach that number ONE spot?

peacockcoins

Comments

• MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    It is not important to me at all. Would I love to make a #1 set? Sure! Is it even a remote possibility that any of my sets will be #1? No! I simply do not have the financial means to purchase the coins required to be #1, or even top5 in many cases. My goal: as complete a set as I can put together, in the nicest grades I can afford. Maybe someday do some upgrades. Why do it all if there is no chance of being #1 or even top5? Well, it is a lot of fun...and I need something to keep me awake at night plotting and planning and hoping!
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there was Millions of Dollars available being #1 probably would be Important but since Hundreds of Dollars are hard to come by just being able to be in the Registries is sufficient.
      Communicating with the Guys,watching other Sets Grow and Showing My set to others is enough Gratification for Me.
        Front Page OK. Being #1 will Never happen and the way Sets are being Added the Front Page will probably disappear also.
          Complete Set is the Goal and hopefully that will happen some day.image
        1. DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
          I aspire to top ten status, but will never have the $$$ to be top five. In the Mercury set at this point in time completion will send you high on the list, but I am sure that over time the top ten will be sets that are pretty much completed. I echo the comments made by Ken on this.
          Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
        2. Being #1 is fun,but expensive, so i'f that is your goal read this; #1 UNLIMITED SUPPLY OF MONEY WILL BE NEEDED FOR SET AND UPGRADEING #2 EXPECT TO TAKE A LOSS WHEN SOLD( RIGHT-OFF) #3 WE NEED TO SET SPENDING LIMITS ON SETS,BUT HOW WOULD BOWERS-HALL ETC.MAKE A LIVEING....GARY
          The Victorian Collection
          EMAIL:
          relictrader@suddenlink.net
        3. MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
          I agree 110% with Fairlaneman and DeepCoin. It's simply a lot of fun to good-naturedly harass other collectors and then share in their pleasure when they acquire a cool coin. Fairlaneman, DeepCoin and I collect Mercury dimes. When I see that an MS66FB 1919-D dime sold for $212,500, which is a lot more than my entire collection is worth, I somehow doubt that I will ever be #1. But that simple fact won't stop me from threatening Fairlaneman and DeepCoin with extinction if they keep up-grading their sets!!! (And, that simple fact also won't stop my pleasure from seeing when they do up-grade!)

Mark
          Mark

4. My lincoln proofs (1950 to date) sits at number 2 and it is the only set I have where I may be number 1 some day, just can't find the coins. Most of my other sets I'm glad to be in the top 5 or 10. In the end, as long as I like the look of the coins, that is all that matters to me (but I'll try for number one in the lincoln proofs just to get the feel).

Rich
        5. I started out several years back with the goal of reaching a #1 spot. I picked the series where, at that time, I thought I could build a lasting set for the least amount of money. I don't want to afford upgrades now so expect that I will eventually lose my spot. The asking prices for the few coins that can upgrade me are very high, but still cheaper than some other series. I choose proof Jeffersons (pre '65).

Now I am collecting what drew me back to coin collecting in the first place, type coins. Here I have no chance of ever displacing some of the current sets. However I am having more fun. Why? Because the Registry is now online and I've met up with you all. Also I have so many more opportunities to learn about coins.

BTW it is easy to get on the front page. At least for a little while. Check out the Registry News. There is a link to a summary that lists all the catagories and how many sets are registered there. There are lots of catagories where there are less than 5 sets registered. Now proof half cents and flying eagles are pretty expensive. But it should be pretty inexpensive to get an early dime, circulation strike shouldn't it?
        6. Depends on if being #1 is one of your goals. I have several Type sets going now:

MS Modern I retired at #3, and with the competition, wasn't going to go higher without major sacrifice.

Modern Type is hovering at #9, has been as high as #3 in the past. My goal for that set is 100% complete (done) and all coins grading MS-65 or higher using no proofs. 13 more upgrades to go, but even then, the set probably won't crack the top 5 because of the proofs unless weighting really emphasizes those gold pieces.

Complete Type Set doesn't matter on the ranking. I just want to get it to 100% complete one day within the next 20 to 30 years. Hopefully average 50 or higher on the grade. Maybe by doing that, I will be able to stay in the top 5 on one of the sets or subsets of Complete Type, but even if I don't, won't matter to me.

Keith
          Keith ™

7. Being #1 would be nice, but like all the other posts may be financially unworkable. I put a major push on to get in the registry and try to finish the set as fast as possible. I now realise that finishing is not the major concern. Its the hunt in finding a great coin. It is fun to read all the posts and digs that everyone does and just be there.

Charlie
          Collector of all proofs 1950 and up plus mint and proof Ikes.
        8. STOCKFORDSTOCKFORD Posts: 1,328 ✭✭
          being the number one set is always nice. I was almost number one with my nickel collection but sold out.
          but the greatest challange is to complete the set. So many of us collect coins but few complete the set.
          you know when you first open the reg. page and at the top it says how many sets have been reg nearly 2,000.
          It should also tell you out of that nearly 2,000 sets that have been reg that are 100% complete and see the small number
          like 200 set maybe?
          LOOKING FOR FULL STEP JEFFERSON NICKELS PCGS OR NGC
        9. PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
          It's not important if I am number 1 at all. I'm not competing with anyone but my self, and my friends in the registry are keep my intrest up. I don't have to be number 1 ! in fact I would rather be #10 with a complete set of mercury dimes and see all the others with me above me!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

10. tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Both!

For the mint state set, I not only want to be number one, but I also want to own every finest known. This set is a passion for quality and my series that coincides with a desire to be number one on the registry.

For the proof set, it'd be nice to be recognized as number one, but it's not so important that I downgrade my 1885 to get it crossed and put on the registry to make it happen. This set is just a passion for my series.
        11. gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
          It's meaningless to be #1 and to be in the Registry. People who fight for #1 frequently do so by sacrificing the quality of the coins. The highest graded isn't necessarily the finest known. I'd rather have a set of stunning toned coins that grade MS64 than a set of MS67s that are white or have so-so toning.

I could register my incomplete set right now and hit the front page. If I crossed all my coins to PCGS slabs, I think I could hit #4 - maybe #3. Why would I want to? I collect for the love of the coins, not because I want to have a higher number on a slab than someone else who I've probably never met. The grade of some of my coins is only MS64 and they would be easily to improve upon by 2 full grades, but I'd never be able to get ones that are as beautiful.

The Registry is great for modern coins where the look doesn't change much. However, it is useless for most non-modern series where eye appeal actually plays a factor.
        12. Interesting question braddick.

#1 definitely doesn't matter as much to me as it did when I first started the registry. I'm #2 and
          #6 in Lincoln moderns. I purchased a lot of raw material with the goal of reaching #1 in business
          strikes. After I finish my raw searches and make my submissions, I'll be happy with a upgrade or
          two every year, regardless if I make #1 or not.

The proofs are another story. When I crossed all the 1950's wheat proofs to NGC, I gave up on
          the PCGS registry for that set. Guess I'll add the missing 1970 and 2000, some day and see
          where I shake out when the weightings are added and sets divided. I've completed the set,
          even if some are now wearing shells from NGC. That was more important to me.

David
        13. lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Not very. #1 on Modern Type (or even #2, for that matter), is not going to happen on my budget. I knew this when I started out, and even in those few months, the competition has gotten much fiercer. Even the Top Five is going to be challenging.. I would like to make it there, even briefly, one day. Right now I have 96% completion and stand at #9 (current finest- when Keith mentioned "hovering at #9" he meant all-time finest. I'm #11 on all-time).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
        14. USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
          I hope to have the quality coins it would take to be #1 on the Mint Ike Set. I will be very happy to be #5 though. The coins just aren't there. You can offer obscene money to try to bring them out of hiding but it doesn't happen. I do enjoy it when I see people find a nice quality Ike and are able to move up.
          Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
        15. I'm a semi-competitive guy by nature. So I like to compete
          at the level I'm at. That level is not going to get me a number
          one position though. It doesn't bug me not being number
          one. It does bug me on occasion when I set a goal (like being
          on the Ike front page) and I never end up getting there because
          people end up upgrading faster than I do. That's frustrating.

Speaking of, Hey Craig, when are you going to register your Ike
          set? I've been watching the eBay purchases. Gotta be getting
          close. Waiting for the other shoe to drop has been killing me image

I'm sure I'll find my 1976-S MS68 right about the time you decide
          to register your set and raise the bar for the front page image

-Keith H
        16. The idea of being number 1 is nice..but...agree with what others have said and really agree with greg..and "tradedollarnut" its silly to get unnatractive coins or coins of no interest (i hate modern stuff) or try to cross stupidly just to register..i think the passion regardless of pocketbook should what do you really like..? then if you happen to have that tip top type of set and make #1 so much the better..I have several #1 sets but still collect the stuff i love and i really enjoy now being able to buy much better examples then in the good old days.. I suspect that the quality/rarity issue will always help the investment side but i am "fanatically interested" in collecting the best of those series i love regardles of popularity.. for instance a $10 indian is a very pretty design, has history goin for it and can be had in a high grade for relatively small money..200 or 300 bucks..you can hold it touch it and almost feel the history..i loved this coin when that $$ was huge ...now i have several matte proof examples that are relatively expensive but i still appreciate the "coin" regarless of registry..same could be said about a really inexpensive coin like 3cent nickel...lots of fun for 10 bucks or 10 thousand...collect what you love to collect and registry spot be damned..
          bruce scher
        17. hey braddick, hehe!! tell me how it feels next week when I pass you up to #1 spot in the modern lincolns.lol
          may the force be with you.

rob.
        18. merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
          I'm just happy to be in top 10.
          Don
          Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
        19. My first goal was to have a nice set of high grade coins, at a reasonable cost, it was the main reason for collecting Kennedys. Then it became an addiction to get to the # one set, after I was # 1 the thrill was gone. But I had some of the best coins on the market, and that in itself was a rush.
          But get ready Im doing it again and Im going for the # two spot, as # one in Kennedys will be very hard to beat. And about half of that set was formed from my former # one set.....
        20. I like to be in the top 5. It's not as expensive a being number one but you don't have to look in the cellar for you set.
          Bill

My Other Hobby
        21. CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
          I'm currently in the top 5 in the Washington silver set, and was #1 briefly. There are only 5 or six coins that I'll upgrade at this point; there will be no MS67's in the set, but there will be several MS64's. I'll be content with the knowledge that it's an attractive, well-matched set. There will be other collectors who are more competitive and willing to spend the big bucks to buy one grade higher, and I'll be lucky to stay in the top 10. I'd rather spend my limited funds on coins that will provide more enjoyment than an upgrade on a coin that's already very nice.

I'm working on a Mercury set now, and while I'll eventually have most of the 1934-45 coins in high grade with full bands, I'm perfectly happy with owning MS64 or MS65 specimens of the scarcer dates, withOUT full bands. That alone will keep me from a high ranking in that set. I collect for the pleasure that the coins give me, not for a high ranking in the registry.

Jim
          Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
        22. braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Matt- Welcome back to the world of the Kennedy Registry. I knew you couldn't/wouldn't be away for too long. You can take the man out of the Registry, but you can't take the Registry out of the man.

peacockcoins

23. FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
          It is not important at all.
          Matt
        24. I have always tried to collect coins with the best eye appeal and highest technical grade that I can find or afford to buy. The State Quarters are an opportunity for me to begin collecting a series that has a definite completion date. If the registry did not exist, I would still have the current coins that are in my collection. More power to people who have really "big" money to spend on an MS69 quarter but I must work within my budget. It is possible that some deep pocket person may own a better collection of State Quarters than mine someday, but for now I do admit to getting a kick out of having the number one set.
          Donn Murphy
          D.M.
        25. Pat,
          I know you know the feeling all to well, its just a good natural rush, these coins are great to look at, little pieces of art, its too hard not to get addicted....image and the thrill of the hunt......
        26. I thought we all had #1 Sets!? If we each put our energies into the best set we can gather, make, or purchase, then we have created our #1 Sets!

Where we stand on the PCGS Tally Board is incidental and a measure of our inventory. It's a useful tool that brings us together to allow us to discuss, learn, and even assist each other on our trip to #1.

So, reaching MY goal to #1 in my book is important. To reach #1 on the PCGS (or any other) board isn't that important but would be a secondary goal. Dave
        27. keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
          Its not that important for me to be #1. I just don't have the financial means nor is what I set out to do. I wanted to have fun trying to collect difficult to collect coins. Although it sounds altrusitic, I also set out to understand a series deeply and potentially convey that knowledge onto others. I write about the series that I collect often in the Gobrecht Journal and try to keep up with others on what they know about the series.

keoj
        28. tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
          I collect, for right now, type coins and I know that I will never be number one, but there is a chance next month when my coins come back from PCGS that I will be in the top 5! Virtually anyone COULD be #1 if they were rich enough. I'm just a working stiff who very much enjoys collecting.

Tom
          Tom