Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why does Bowers and Merena maintain the Bowers name?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
QDB is not retired. And this question is in no way a reflection on his illustrious career.

But if I were the principals at B&M I would half to seriously consider dropping his name.

Afterall, QDB is working with the competition....Stack's.

Thoughts?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    Because the company was sold with the rights to the name (my understanding). Obviously, the name Bowers carries a lot of clout.

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    Since we are on the topic of name changes, shouldn't ICG be renamed ANACS and ANACS to ICG in light of the musical chairs game that was performed after James Taylor's purchase of ANACS? image

Gary

Gary
  • Options
    Name branding makes business sense, which is why things occur like Westinghouse selling its Appliance Division to White Corporation many years ago, but many of the products were still marketed with the brand name "White-Westinghouse", when Westinghouse had absolutely zero input into the business. Since that time, Westinghouse has sold just about every division it ever created/owned, and it now owns CBS.

So you would expect them to take a well known name like "Bowers and Merena" and change it to what? "And Merena" or simply "Merena"? What about Ford Motors or Singer Corporation. Henry Ford is DEAD, and so is Isaac Singer. And neither is privately own anymore, so what should they do? Should they now be the Motor Company Formally Known as Ford and the Sewing Machine Company Formaerly Known as Singer? Yeah, that makes business sense.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be different if QDB was retired and no longer associated with another company in the coin industry.

But he is not. He is working for the competition.

He has name recognition certainly....but he is at the competition.

Seems to me if I wanted to consign to B&M because of the Bowers name I would go to Stacks.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>It would be different if QDB was retired and no longer associated with another company in the coin industry.

But he is not. He is working for the competition.

He has name recognition certainly....but he is at the competition.

Seems to me if I wanted to consign to B&M because of the Bowers name I would go to Stacks. >>

Alas, most people do not tend to think that way. Because most folks are resistant to change and are creatures of habit , they lull themselves into believing that the 'Song remains the same'. Sorry Robert, Jimmy, John Paul and John for the cheap rip off. image

Gary

Gary
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for me, I will go to where QDB is now, not where he was. I like Stacks though, I went into their place on W 57th looking reasonably scruffy but was treated like I owned the place on walking in. I have remembered that well, done lots of business with them the last five years.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still remember/think of them as Bowers and Ruddy, and when I see Bowers' photo in Stacks' advertisements, it still seems odd to me. I guess I'm kind of stuck in a 1970's time warp regarding QDB. image

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim