Difference in Coin Photographability
    Difference in Sticker/no Sticker
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I like the Heritage coin much better. Sad, but true.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colonials are an area where, in my opinion, the grade on the slab has very little to do with the quality of the coin and less to do with the price than, say, Morgans or Saints. Planchet quality, centering, strike, originality, eye appeal, and in this case, pedigree, will result in widely disparate prices for coins of the same grade. I also do not think that the CAC sticker has been especially useful in this area.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    both are laughable for AU. pla$tic co's are COMPLETELY clueless grading copper, esp colonial copper

K S
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    The second one has the date so worn or weakly struck that it looks VF not AU, The first one just hammered or a much stronger strike with great feature edge detail.

Pricing seems about right for the difference IMO.

edited: shoot, after looking at these for awhile now, I think I like the bottom one better. yeah couple of features are weak on the edges but overall if you were to change the lighting I think the fields an devices might be just as good and I like the color.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big part of the coin's allure is the motto. It's mostly incomplete on the cheaper coin.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Since no one asked my opinion, I'll offer it anyway:

First off, these two images are quite different, shot by different people under different lighting, and so comparing the coins based on these pics (if you haven't seem them in hand) is misleading.

Second, I'm biased: We consigned the Stack's coin. We had been offering it for $8K with no takers, so we put it in an auction unreserved (which is not to suggest that all of our asking prices are always way too low, or that anything we offer would auction for way more).

Third, I think the Heritage coin was decent, with pleasing color and was actually sharper in places than "ours", but the strike was less even and the super-serious guys would like it less. I believe that second result is a pretty typical one in our experience for a typical coin in this grade range.

Fourth, the numerical grade of any colonial is just one of many attributes that determine value (and often not the most important one), with originality, eye appeal, color, strike, planchet quality, centering and provenance also significant considerations.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We consigned the Stack's coin. We had been offering it for $8K with no takers, so we put it in an auction unreserved (which is not to suggest that all of our asking prices are always way too low, or that anything we offer would auction for way more).

Gosh, next time you have a coin that I could swing a quick $5k by purchasing it and throwing it into an auction, please let me know. image
  • Options

<< <i>both are laughable for AU. pla$tic co's are COMPLETELY clueless grading copper, esp colonial copper

K S >>

Really?

I feel like AU50 is actually a bit conservative for the top coin. I don't use traditional EAC standards though.
  • Options

<< <i>Gosh, next time you have a coin that I could swing a quick $5k by purchasing it and throwing it into an auction, please let me know. image >>

Hey, it can go the other way, too. I'm not exactly the Amazing Kreskin over here.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>both are laughable for AU. pla$tic co's are COMPLETELY clueless grading copper, esp colonial copper

K S >>

Really?

I feel like AU50 is actually a bit conservative for the top coin. I don't use traditional EAC standards though. >>

I think the bottom coin would be technically higher grade, but as noted the numerical grade of a colonial tells just a fraction of the story.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to compare, as much as the photos allow. I think I would be very happy with the Heritage coin, for $8k less, but I hope the owner of the Stack's coin is pleased.
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    :-)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these rare varieties? They certainly don't deserve AU grades.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Are these rare varieties? >>

It's a scarce variety, and a popular Redbook type.

<< <i>They certainly don't deserve AU grades. >>

I know for a fact that the buyer of the Roper piece (a very knowledgeable guy) cracked it out immediately after the auction, so the slab grade - and your opinion of it - doesn't matter.

• Options
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That looks a lot different in the second photo, they managed the hide a lot of the porosity in the image, but it does seem to show the same major dings. Does it look like the same coin CCU?
  • Options
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy either even if I had the cash. I'd wait for one with nicer surfaces.
    Currently collecting Morgan Dollars and Seated Liberty Halves
  • Options

<< <i>That looks a lot different in the second photo, they managed the hide a lot of the porosity in the image, but it does seem to show the same major dings. Does it look like the same coin CCU? >>

Same coin. I thought it would sell, but there was a late reserve and it didn't.
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't buy either even if I had the cash. I'd wait for one with nicer surfaces. >>

Lol ... yeah, right image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wouldn't buy either even if I had the cash. I'd wait for one with nicer surfaces. >>

Lol ... yeah, right image >>

The last reeeeeeeaaaaaaally nice one sold for around 20K.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file