Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Building a 55 Topps set in 5 or 6

Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to put one together?

Also I am wondering if a complete psa vintage set is worth more as a complete set, or more as a broken set.

Thoughts?
We are currently buying all vintage sets from 52-75 for baseball and football.

Comments

• Options
    DrKDrK Posts: 58
    I just completed that set in 5-6, a rough estimate is about $4,000 - $5,000. Centering really commands a premium for that set, particularly the high numbers. In my expereience the 1955 Duke Snider, Sherm Lollar and Gene Freese are among the toughest cards to find centered of any Topps set. They exist but you really have to pay up.

• Options
    cool thanks for the advice, do you think it is now worth more than what you originally paid?
    We are currently buying all vintage sets from 52-75 for baseball and football.
  • Options
    DrKDrK Posts: 58
    Not really on the value, I built it card by card and accepted that is a little more expensive than just buying a completed set. I was more focused on building a clean consistent set than trying to cut corners to save a few bucks. I don't plan on selling it but if I did I would guess it's worth right about what I paid.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear! I am 3 cards away from a PSA 7-8 set and I can tell you this set is one of the best. Though overall value might be better broken up, the cost of separate listings, paypal fees, etc, it could average out to be the same. I personally am going to trade to trade my completed set for one vintage Hof'er in PSA 8. Good luck with the set!
  • Options
    I have been working on this set in 5 or 6 for about a year now. Centering can be brutal on some, but all in all, a great looking set! Not too expensive either, if you are only doing one or 2 cards at a time. I have about 40-50 now. Just slowly chpping away.

Jeff
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I too have built this set but what I did was I had mainly the Hall of Famers graded and the rest raw.

It is not a set where you will see a hike in value as for a 50's set the 55 is abundant.

You will though, always get what you put into it back.

Try to purchase true to the grade cards, not cards that were net graded.

True 5's and 6's are very nice cards, cards that are actually 7 or 8 OC are not.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve is right about true to grade cards. A true 6 is a very nice looking card.

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Wow, some very sharp looking 6's there with great eye appeal.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    That Kaline could be 6.5 I think
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree, those are some very sweet EX/MNT cards.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The 55's are the set a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to complete. After I completed the set last year I was happy to finish it since some of the cards were tough to get, but after consideration I realized that some of the cards were not as nice as I wanted them so I have been upgrading my cards the last few months . Some command a premium but I enjoy the challenge. I agree with Steve since there are quite a few 55's its not a set that is going to see a big increase in value but I think the the colors and layout of the cards makes this a favorite of collectors.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    Those 6's are very nice. Awesome looking cards.