Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Low German Minerva in Dresden

Besides showing off a new medal, I wonder if anyone can read what I think is Low German. The medal is deep both in color and in relief, so I have significantly lightened the image. Some of you may be viewing a very pale photo, depending on your monitor.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Superb design on this medal, Harasha. Love that owl border.

Put "Low German?" in the title and 1jester will be attracted like ants to the picnic. image
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trap is set. image

DPOTD
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Put "Low German?" in the title and 1jester will be attracted like ants to the picnic. image >>

<< <i>The trap is set. >>

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely it's from the 19th century, rather than the 1593 of the Roman numeral date.

What a gorgeous piece! I'm very fond of the owls. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Superb design on this medal, Harasha. Love that owl border.

Put "Low German?" in the title and 1jester will be attracted like ants to the picnic. image >>

LOL...you got me.... But it looks Greek to me! (or Latin, actually, on the reverse, and I can't quite make out what's on the obverse).

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    It does sort of look like Latin.

Obverse says, "In Arbe Voluptas"?

I wonder if the lady on the front is Voluptas? If so, it would seem she would be portrayed nude, in her role as goddess of sensual beauty. Maybe "Voluptas" is a word as well as a name? What about "Arbe"? Arbeit is "work" in German, right? Could "In Arbe Voluptas" be "Voluptus At Work"? image

As to the reverse, well, it's obviously from Dresden, for the Fourth Council of... something. "Allschlaraffiae? image

It looks to me like the ends of the second two lines on the reverse have ligate "ae" characters rather than "ce"

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    AHA!

I'm getting warm... check out the part about SCHLARAFFIA.

So it's from the Fourth Council of Schlaraffia, Dresden. Not sure what the "1593" is all about, since the medal certainly doesn't date to that period.

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The medal's worth owning just for the owl border! image

The script used for the lettering is an added bonus!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
    Thank you, lordmarcovan. It kind of makes sense; the goddess of wisdom dressed as a jester.

DPOTD
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Is this the Keual Norimberg medal you asked about? It definitely is cool! I like the jesters hat on Athena image

Looks like LM got the connection, here's the bozos' website - be prepared for crazy German singing to blast through your speakers! Looks like most links are password protected. Here's an English summary from the NJ chapter - er, "reych".

The organization was founded in 1859 and I'm not seeing any references to earlier events that could link to the 1593 date? But In Arte Voluptas is apparently their motto - it means roughly "pleasure lies in art" or vice versa.
    Yes, this is the medal "signed" by Keual, if indeed that is the artist or striker.
    Remarkable what things we pick up from medals.

DPOTD
    Ah. In Arte. Yes. I mistook that T for a B.