Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Airtite toning

A few years ago I got into a discussion with someone over whether airtites can affect toning on a coin. At that time I remember there being some sort of question concerning the black/white rings. So over the years, I've used the white ring on my 3d collection. In looking over several coins I was preparing to photo, my 1902 matte proof 3d has a corona of light blue/green shades into the lettering all around the obverse. The reverse has remained the same. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? While I know there are variables, its the first I've seen any change in from anything I've had in airtities. I however quite like the change!

Av
Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. By that description, I wonder if the seal was somehow loose? But I've popped the same Airtite open more than a few times (for reimaging) and never had them loosen up. image

I think it is the black rings that is supposed to have the issue - don't remember exactly what it was though, that they disintegrate or something. I started using Airtites about 4-5 years ago, mostly black rings, and haven't had an issue of any kind with them or the coins in them. I may soon be replacing some of the older ones as a precaution against whatever that black ring issue was, but more for scuffing - I keep 'em loose in ziploc bags! image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I believe it was cacheman that had issues with the black insert rings.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    I have a set of coins that have been in airtites since 1993 black rings. some of the coins are developing a bit of toning. Not attractive or unattractive it's just there.
    I just checked these coins 3 of 21 have a little gold toning on the rim.