Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Not all Matte Proofs are created equal> here is a prime

example of the theory. In session one 3/26 of Bowers and Merena's auction there were two 1910 MPL cents graded by PCGS as PR64RB. Lot 268 sells for a total price of $863 the next lot is the same date grade and holder, lot 269 sells for a total price of $2,300. Is the MATTE PROOF market weakening? by lot 268 results one might think so but lot 269 says the MPL market is very strong!

PCGS price guide for the coin is $1,000

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have comparison photos of these too for us that are too lazy to search for them??? image
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have comparison photos of these too for us that are too lazy to search for them??? image

>>

lot 268/269
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks image

Yes, definitely not equal and the photos show quite different looking coins, although probably technically the same grade... how did they compare in hand??? Anyone check them out??
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Yes I saw them,

Quality wins out again.image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    A good example. So how should this impact (if at all) the price guide (which must include ALL representative samples)?
  • Options
    The price guide allows for the hypothetical 'average' coins, so the high end pieces do not really pull the curve up. The price guide clearly does not allow for private sales, which is where the high end (and thus high priced) coins are usually traded. There are exceptions, but those exceptions seem to be the red MPLs that usually go very well in the open auction market. The high end RB and BN MPLs seem to trade higher in the private market. So unfortunetely, I think we will see more red in the PCGS price guide for the BN and RB coins, based on some of the prices that just went off in open auctions (e.g. the PR65RB VDB). That coin would have probably drawn twice as much from a private sale, IMO.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I'll admit it, I was the buyer of the cheaper one. I did not see the coin in hand, but finding any PCGS graded MPL under $1000 is almost impossible, and that's why I bought it. It looked very familiar, anyone know where it came from?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Buy the plastic not the coin.
  • Options
    That’s actually funny to see that coin again I admit I bought that coin for $800 including juice from heritage in July and resold it in October on eBay of a little more than $1,000. The Thumb print the main problem on the coin. It’s like the coin everyone buys but no one wants to own
  • Options
    ProofCents, I knew it looked familiar.

-Paul
  • Options
    This is the same coin i listed Here
  • Options
    I have to say, the B&M photos look better. I'll have to try it on eBay and see how I do.

-Paul
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Saw the same thing with seated dollars... I had a bid for $12K on an 1866 that 'should' go for $9K... it ended at like $16,500. While many other seated dollars never even approached their reserves... the market is definately becoming a two tier market between the dogs and the 'nice for the grade' coins, moreso than i can remember in the past.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!