Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HP Scanner Question

Hey fellas,

I've heard some very good things about Epson scanners from the other board members, but are there any HP scanners on the market that produce scans comparable to that of Epson -- particularly as it relates to graded cards? I'm trying to restore some uniformity to my hardware, and this Mac has gotta go! Please help!

Regards,

Scout
Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I've got an old HP ScanJet 3970. It does a pretty good job with non-chrome or non-foil cards, like these:

imageimage

But chrome and foil cards come out looking like this:

imageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Thanks, digicat. I don't own any foil cards, but that Clark and Cepeda look pretty sharp -- and those flips look very crisp!
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • Options
  • Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I get great scans with an HP scanner except when the item cannot lay flat on the scanner bed - because the focus is fixed. This causes a problem with slides which are in holders and the same problem would be true of cards in holders which lift the surface of the cards slightly off the glass. You would have the same problem with most flat bed scanners - they are fixed focus scanners. It is possible to buy scanners with an adjustable focus for slides, but I've never shopped for one that could work with card size plastic holders. I don't think the issue is so much Epson vs. HP, but fixed focus vs. adujustable.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I am using a HP Office Jet J6480 all in one and its the best of the 2 I had before.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options