Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lucernae Carolus III 8 escudos onza AU.1778- Anyone know anything about this coin?

Saw this on Ebay today-

Nifty 1878 coin

Anyone know anything about its history, what it's worth, and if it looks genuine? This is my first post here, so be gentle. image
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

-Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold 8-escudo piece is the coin most often referred to as the "doubloon" of popular legend and pirate lore. It was the highest-denomination regular-issue Spanish gold piece of the colonial era.

I would avoid buying raw, (i.e., uncertified) gold usually, particularly from overseas, but that being said, the coin looks genuine to me in the picture, and I am moderately familiar with the seller, "Lucernae", as they're a big dealer of ancient coins. I've never done business with them, personally, however.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'd probably check around places like THIS before buying one off of Ebay.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    WHOA FOLKS!!! A LORDM SIGHTING!!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or perhaps here or here.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Or perhaps here or here. >>

Good to see ya, Rob!image Thanks for the link to Steinberg's. It's been a while, I'll have to check out their inventory.