Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT - Fargo flooding and how YOU can help

I'm posting this on a couple forums. I know this is WAY off thread but hopefully this plea doesn't fall on deaf ears.

As most of you may know, here in Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN (as well as the surrounding area) we're going through MAJOR flooding. Just in Fargo alone we've made about 3,000,000 sandbags in 5 days so far, but there is more river fighting to do. This morning the river passed its all-time flood mark set back in 1897 and still has a foot or two to go. Mother Nature has thrown some more curve balls; last Sunday we got an inch of rain and on Wednesday about 8 inches of snow followed by very cold temps (-7 wind chill this morning) so working outside throwing 20-40 lb sandbags has been brutal.

How can YOU help? Obviously most of you are too far to come and make sandbags or pile them. Instead, I would encourage you to donate to the Red Cross or the Salvation Army. They are providing much needed food to workers as well as helping with shelter for those that are in areas that have had to evacuate. Also, donating blood would also help because no one around here has been able to donate and if anything catastrophic happens the supplies would go quickly. I am not involved with these organizations but have been very impressed with how well they've heeded the call.

Luckily our house is fine - as long as our sump pump works and the discharge doesn't freeze and the sewers don't back up but that pales in comparison to some friends that are in the thick of it.

I'd type more but fingers hurt too much from lifting sandbags.

Comments

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    I don't give any thing, but the missus is always mailing my $ away for many charities. Red Cross is definately one -Heck, I may need them one day here in hurricane land.

Stay strong ND.
  • Options
    lucasjlucasj Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    i'm in fargo as well and just got done plugging all my basement drains. it's been a long few days of sandbagging, hopefully we've done enough. i'm far enough away from the river that i should be fine but have many friends who are in serious trouble. keep our city in your prayers.

luke
    1987 Topps FB - Signed
    1989 Hoops BB - Signed
    Seattle Seahawks & Mariners Key Cards
    Selectively Random Cards That Make Me Happy
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I hope the best for all involved.

Its too bad this isn't in New Orleans , as then it would get more attention. You have much to be proud in , knowing you have the common sense and the will power to deal with an impending problem.

Stupid and lazy , you are not. Our prayers are with you.------ Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    I live in Fergus Falls which is 50 miles from Fargo.. We've been sending busses of people to sandbag every day for a week!! Half our senior high went on Tuesday for a day of sandbagging! With only a few roads open most volunteers are being turned away because they can't even get to a place that needs help. The roads are a bottleneck...all of the schools in the area were cancelled this week and there will be no school next week.. 2 colleges are closed.... Pray for the levees to hold!!! This could be one huge DISASTER if the water gets to the 43 foot mark!!
    Paul
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    You are some crazy tough folks up there. I've been watching what you are doing with the sand bags, wading through waist high water with ice chunks in it, on the Yahoo news slide shows. God bless you all, stay strong, we're praying for you.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I live in Fargo. I also have 250,000 sportscards in my bedroom on 1st floor. I should have no problem because I live over 1 mile away from the river.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    TTT

Update: The river crested this morning, but the threat will continue for at least a week. Of course, after that it will be clean up time.

Thanks for the note GlossyCrazy. There have been kids from schools all over (even during the school day); hopefully we remember that if those areas ever need help they get it from us.
  • Options
    Oh no again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Break another record same year 2009!!!

The weather service said there is a 75 percent chance the Red could crest at 41 feet between April 15-22, a mark that would top the epic 40.82-foot crest last Saturday.

Fargo just had 15" of snow. 75 miles south of Fargo has 20" of snow. The red river flow north. What a mess!!!
  • Options
    lucasjlucasj Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    this winter/spring has me seriously considering relocating. its been one thing after another. of course i've been saying that for 10 years. oh well, i'm going to cabo tomorrow, maybe i just won't come back. . . .

luke
    1987 Topps FB - Signed
    1989 Hoops BB - Signed
    Seattle Seahawks & Mariners Key Cards
    Selectively Random Cards That Make Me Happy
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Having recently been through Ike, I empathize with your situation. As for financial donations, unfortunately, I'm completely tapped out with my MS150 ride but wishing you the best!

Stay strong!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts