Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identify these and a Giveaway....We have a winner of the 1858 Cent

Winner is IloiloKano
Contact me with your info

OK help me identify these from my desk and the other day and I'll have a giveaway.
If you just want in on the giveaway just post.
I've had these on my desk for a long time and may have asked before.
That's why I'm doing a give away.
If I remember there were a couple better pieces.
Values would be appreciated.
and now for the coins and the giveaway .
The last coin in the post is the Giveaway,
If it's not good enough I'll give another.
Thanks in advance, and anyone can enter.
Sorry for the upside down in the first pics,,,image

Comments

• Options
    OK, talked me into it!image

Top middle, this one is very similar, numerals differ -LINK, and an Ebay link.

The top right is a Costa Rican one real. Added- Ebay LINK, and a similar one that sold.

The top left is a Venetian denar (or soldino?) Added: Check here , or this one.

I don't know if this Link is of much help, but it is an example of the Canadian commerce token that you have pictured (two of them at the bottom of second pic). It's the only one I could find, but being that you have multiples of it, I doubt that it's as rare as this seller is suggesting.

The first colum, second from top- CANADIAN Half Penny Ship Token. A real nice one is on Ebay for $25....

I'll edit as I get more info. (Hope this helps at least a little)
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the Costa Rican is the proclamation of the new constitution 1 Real.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    The second down, right column, bottom group, is a Canadian token...T. Duseman, Butcher. Listed as LC-45
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    The top coin/token is a 1822 British Colony 1/16 dollar, it looks like the wide 8 type. Used in Canada.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The large token in the center, next to the Georgivs V Rex A.D.1910 token is from Jackson & Listers from Barnsley. I have one in worse shape than yours - not much value as they are fairly common. From around 1811.

If you want to see a much nicer version currently for sale on eBay Click Here

The top left halfpenny token uses a Conder token obverse (SR. BEVOIS SOUTHAMPTON) with a NORTH * * WALES reverse die. I do not see this one documented as a Conder token but I believe that I have seen an example of this token before. I do not have my books with me here at work but I believe the reverse die was paired with a George Washington obverse for a quite rare token (ex: Norweb collection). The North Wales die may also have been used on other spurious imitation regal coinage.

The top right coin appears to be a GB halfpenny from 1834
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Top center of the bottom group is a cu-ni Meiji 32 (1899) 5 sen, mintage 10,658,000, ~$5+/- in that condition.
    Roy

• Options
    smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Although I can't really help with identification or valuation beyond what was already given, I can say that I wouldn't mind pulling such a stash out of my desk image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice desk hoard!

I concur that the hammered silver coin at top left is, as mentioned, Venetian.

The 1822 1/16 dollar did, as mentioned, circulate in Canada, but you'll find it and the other "Anchor" coinage cataloged as KM#1 under British West Indies. They're semi-scarce, though in the case of the 1822, a VF goes for only $15 in the 4th edition Krause. I would call yours VF, personally, or a strong Fine at least.

I love the old tokens but find the one at the top left of the big group picture quite intriguing, because it looks like it says it's a NORTH WALES halfpenny? There are North Wales halfpennies listed in the US coin Redbook for some nice prices, but those look to have a bust of Washington on the obverse. Yours appears to have a different bust and so probably is not one of the ones with an American connotation, so it's probably not worth as much- I find it intriguing, nonetheless.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    The coins and tokens I recognize are:
    1st + 2nd photos
    Top coin is an 1822 British West Indies 1/16 dollar (also known as Anchor money). These coins are collected as part of early Canadian sets because of the use in the Maritimes. This is the most common date VF value $15.
    Bottom coin is a Model British Crown (counter/token/jeton). I sold a similar piece on eBay last year for about $4.
    Far right looks like a Costa Rica piece.

3rd + 4th photos
    Top row: North Wales Conder token (1/2d); Chinese ? 5 sen; 1834 UK 1/2d
    2nd row: Lower Canada token Charlton LC14 (coinage alignment worth 2x medal); Brazil?; Lower Canada token LC45 Duseaman
    3rd row: 1910 Toronto Exhibition token (I don't have my Leroux catalogue at hand); 1d conder token; Upper Canada 1833 sloop token UC13
    4th row: Lower Canada Francis Mullins LC17; Chinese ? 10 cash; another LC17
    5th row: a rather ugly Canada 1858 cent
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The one on the left in the top picture is a Venetian soldino, from Francesco Dandolo (1328-1339)
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Nice coin for a giveaway Smitty. Don't include me in the drawing. I all ready bought this coin from you. I would be interested in purchasing the tokens however.image
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Count me in please!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Count me in too. Thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    Never won anything on this board, just try my luck again.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The one with the big star and "HU-NAN" is Chinese, Hunan Province, ten cash, 1912. (Y 399.2)
  • Options
    If I win, donate the giveaway to the Young Notables class that Omega is conducting
  • Options
    the 3rd pic, the coin in the middle of the first row, is a japanese coin.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winner is IloiloKano
    Contact me with your info
  • Options
    PM has been sent to you an Omega. Please send the giveaway to his Young Notables class, and than you for your generous giveaway.

Steve