Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Those Fabulous Freaking Franklin's

Franklin's are a very popular, widely collected series .............now may be an excellent time to get some !

Along with most of the coin market , prices are very depressed. In fact Franklin's interest as well as their prices have dropped lower then

the rest of the market . Pricing PCGS coins is difficult , the PCGS guide is not realistic - in fact , it's kind of misleading .

I only saw a couple of dates drop this week - one was the 1954 in MS66 FBL . It went down 50$ . Why ? Who knows .........

maybe the dart hit that date . In today's depressed market, to single out a single date and show it dropping is silly - showing all Franklin's dropping

would be more helpful . The PCGS MS65 FBL 1954 has not dropped in spite of the fact that dozens and dozens of them have sold at Teletrade, Heritage, and

Ebay in the last year in the 50$ to 100$ range .

But no , lets show the MS66 dropping 50 bucks instead of lowering the 180$ level the MS65 is at ..................

Then there is the raging FBL controversy , I recommend you stay away from FBL coins right now ,that is the much higher priced " S " mints

and the 61 ,62, and '63 P mints .

until the TPG's address the issue . You do not want to buy

a coin that says FBL yet if cracked out and submitted , by today's standards - would loose it's FBL status.

Also true of Franklin's more then most other series- do not expect the coins to grow in value . I would guess 90% of them have gone down in value over the

last 2 decades !

Their day may indeed come , but you gotta collect them out of love - not for financial gain .

I believe in them......... and salted away some 400 eye appealing PCGS coins in the last 20 years. Very , very few of them would be saleable today for more then

then I paid ................

On the positive side , there are many good dealers that handle Franklin's and you can trust most will sell you naturally toned , solid for the grade, appealing

coins that will make for a solid and attractive collection . And they should be more in tune to the real price levels on today's Franklin's.

Also , the supply of original mint sets has all but dried up and the influx of new raw slabable coins grows ever smaller - so the available

pool of nice toned Franklin's will probable not grow much larger either .

More then a few very nice coins are coming onto the market due to the financial crises-

people need money , and in these times they are willing to part with beloved pieces they might normally never place into the market .

Buyers are few and far between - so you could get a downright fantastic bargain on a monster coin . I was able to buy a 1951-D PCGS MS66 FBL

RAINBOW for 2000$ that I would not part with for a penny less then five thousand dollars !!

Tomaska's new book will hit the market soon , and he will sell quite a few of them ! The book should contain alot of nice pictures to wet the appetite

of many a new collector as well

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your opinion and knowledge on the Franklins. This is a series I have been wanting to explore and have read a lot of threads on the forum for a long time. image
  • Options
    Very good point re the mint sets.

Surely, not too many left that have not been checked out.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I have to agree with you on almost all points, the price of the Franklin is dropping

with the exception of the Franklin in the OGHs. I have personally been doing a lot of

research on the Franklin specifically in the OGH. Not all but most are bringing premiums

over the price guides by 2% - 20%. Where prices continue to drop for coins in the blue

holders, the OGHed coins (key dates) and nice coins are selling for over price guide est.

I personally think it is a great time to pick up some high grade coins at a steal of a price.

IM a fan of the series, have looked through over ten thousand slabs all PCGS and concluded

the OGHed coins are just about 2 - 3% of all coins left graded by PCGS in OGHs. I think this is

part of the reason for strong prices. I know its collect the coin not the holder but there will be a few exceptions

to that rule in the near future. In time I feel the OGHed coins may command a premium just

for their rarity. I purchased a 1948 MS 65 FBL in 2002 for $175.00 the coin is now $135.00,

so I agree with Paul the prices are dropping and some coins may have bigger drops...but it is

a good time to buy some nice examples at very reasonable prices...just stay away from the OGHs...

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    "just stay away from the OGHs..."

I have to say I think there are perhaps 10-15 % of Franklin's still in the old green holders; more then a few people-

(including myself) purchased Franklin's in the late 80's and early 90's at extremely high levels ; and there not about to dump such coins into the current

depressed market .

But I will give you that the OGH (for the most part with a few exceptions) contain coins that are graded by much stricter grading standards and

entomb Franklin's that are on the threshold (if not actually at the level) of the next higher grade .

In the older PCGS holders you are almost guaranteed a naturally toned coin as well as one with strong positive eye appeal.

I too have a treasured set in PCGS MS65 in all OGH's that I would put up against 75% of the " modern" PCGS MS 66 Registry sets .

In fact , the very best PCGS has to offer are often found in those older holders.........but that is not to say all of them you run across are winners.

You can bet any that have left and entered the market a few times have been scrutinized and any potential for upgrade would have already

been exploited ............ conversely - there are plenty floating around that have no upward potential whatsoever.

Is that what you meant by "just stay away from the OGHs..." ?
  • Options
    Paw Paul...

<< <i>that what you meant by "just stay away from the OGHs..." ? >>

No I was joking with that comment stay away because the competition keeps

driving up my final prices at auction IM a buyer and yet to get a deal...IM paying top

dollar on these OGHs and I think the reason is people are becoming aware of their rarity...

And I think you est at 10 - 15 % is way to high, as I stated I have kept track of the #s I looked at

and honestly think they are tops at 5%...another source I researched was auction results from 2007 - 2009...close

to a total of 20,000 coins and have yet to see the OGHed coins even semi close to 5% of total

coins sold...just in the ten thousand coins sold the OGHs are much rarer than many might think...

I truly believe 3 - 4% is a more accurate est from all the data I have collected...and still I see them

cracked out...
  • Options
    well then , you helped to let the cat out of the bag !

now we will have more competition for those elusive OGH's !!

I think you are correct on your percentage of coins that appear for sale, in all venues ;

but I stick to my guns that there are significantly more in old time strong collector hands that you do not see in your research
  • Options
    I agree, buy Franklins nowimage
    I've got 3 or 4 OGHs in there too.
    Sunday Night-Teletrade
  • Options
    Love those Franklins. The Proofs that is.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO the best Franklins that you can find are the Cameo and Deep Cameo proof Franklins.

However, I admit that nicely toned MS Franklins float my boat also.
  • Options
    I've grown partial to the Proof Frankies over the years, and recently I'm starting to grow fond of the MS FBL's, not so much high end FBL's, but early graded (OGH) and some of the early blues.

I still think that NGC's version of the FBL is a stronger case of full lines, and the house is looking at eye appeal.

But I'm a no body in the frankies, just a collector/hoarder....
  • Options

<< <i>Love those Franklin's. The Proofs that is. >>

Well, there certainly seems to be no shortage of those !

For coins that are so scarce- I am amazed to see so many in virtually every single T.T. auction as well as a steady stream of them @ Heritage ......

not to mention dozens at any given moment on eBay !

In all my years of searching , I never found a proof set at any coin show that held a Cameo Franklin .

I would think the pops. are much smaller then their Mint State counterparts , yet there seems to be hundreds if not thousands available in today's market
  • Options

Sad but True, this post needs a Frankie...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    Another thing the Mint State Franklin's have going for them is the relative abundance of pretty toned pieces .

Roosevelt dimes are still being minted, the clads being part of the set - and there so danged tiny

and the Washington set to complete including the early dates is very expensive indeed .... and then there's those clads.

So the Franklin's are a nice set to work on , being big silver coins with none of those "clads" in the set

, and those double mint sets have blessed us with thousands of wonderfully toned colored pieces to choose from.

I don't have to tell you how many people these days go absolutely ga-ga for exotically toned silver coins !!
  • Options

<< <i>Sad but True, this post needs a Frankie...

image >>

....there you go - million dollar toning !
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Franklin threads are too few and far between, thanks for the insight guys!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now don't take this the wrong way because I like Franklins as much as the next guy (especially the toned ones!), but isn't there a contradiction here? If Franklins were very popular and widely collected wouldn't demand prop up the price?

I'm not trying to stir the pot. I'm just wondering why prices and interest have been falling for a long time. Honest question.
    Lance.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
  • Options

<< <i>Now don't take this the wrong way because I like Franklins as much as the next guy (especially the toned ones!), but isn't there a contradiction here? If Franklins were very popular and widely collected wouldn't demand prop up the price?

I'm not trying to stir the pot. I'm just wondering why prices and interest have been falling for a long time. Honest question.
    Lance. >>

that's a good question ...........

maybe you hit the nail on the head ; could be there not as popular as a lot of people say ( even D. Hall )

...........and maybe there so thinly collected that virtually nobody wants to buy them

I do know there is a core group of Franklin Fanatics that post here on these boards -

eliminate their comments and maybe Franklin's are dead as a door knob : anyone got a fork ?
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    The Mar. 30 Coin World has an article about price changes in 66FBL Frankins.

'62 has increased $3,200 to $15,000.

'49-D increased $4,000 to $10,000

'50-D decreased $4,500 to $1,600

'55 decreased $3,500 to $700

Other common dates have risen from $175 to $1,000+

• Options

<< <i>The Mar. 30 Coin World has an article about price changes in 66FBL Frankins.

Other common dates have risen from $175 to $1,000+ >>

WILL that's just great ! are we talking PCGS ? NGC ? ANACS ?? And are they toned or brilliant ?

Are these prices for low end , medium , or high end coins ???

Are they O.G.H's or the new Blue labeled one's ?

Do they have CAC stickers ?

By which FBL standards are they graded ; old style or new ????

And these common date's that have risen over $1000.00 in value ;

where do I send my coins to get payment ??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Mar. 30 Coin World has an article about price changes in 66FBL Frankins.

WILL that's just great ! are we talking PCGS ? NGC ? ANACS ?? And are they toned or brilliant ?

where do I send my coins to get payment ?? >>

I wondered the same thing. I don't know where they're getting there info from.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

where do I send my coins to get payment ?? >>

I wondered the same thing. I don't know where they're getting there info from. >>

Coin Values probably. Which like any other price list is basically useless when valueing Franklins for the above stated reasons.
    Bought a really nice OGH MS-64 FBL '48-D yesterday at the Albany (GA) Coin Show. Nice 'skin' but no toning. I'm guessing it came from a roll. Looks absolutely 65 to me. I had planned to crack it for my Capital Plastics 20th Cent. type set, but after reading this, I may just have to let it be. image
    BTW paid $50 for it.

Regards,

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>
    Bought a really nice OGH MS-64 FBL '48-D yesterday at the Albany (GA) Coin Show. Nice 'skin' but no toning. I'm guessing it came from a roll. Looks absolutely 65 to me. I had planned to crack it for my Capital Plastics 20th Cent. type set, but after reading this, I may just have to let it be. image
    BTW paid $50 for it.

Regards,

HH >>

Got a pic?
  • Options
    One real good positive thing I can say about the Franklin market ;

When a really pretty , wonderfully toned , rainbow colored example comes to market -

(whether it be eBay, Teletrade, Heritage Auction, BST board, etc...........)

it brings very spirited bidding and sells for very strong money .

The demand is there for exceptional pieces,

but sadly , run of the mill coins are lacking buyers.........

even properly graded , problem free , nice examples go for way below PCGS Price Guide levels
  • Options
    1959-D Franklin Half Dollar MS66 FBL PCGS
    Item number: 270387631220

`........1959 -D PCGS MS66 FBL Franklin just sold @ eBay for a paultry 455$ .............
  • Options
    Here's my only Franklin

• Options
    .........with piece's bringing rock bottom prices -

you can add to that lonely piece image
  • Options
    how's the Franklin market today ?
  • Options
    Looking at recent auctions, prices still seem to be low.

Here's a nice '52-S I just picked up on Ebay.

• Options
    this here 1959-D Franklin sold at Heritage auction in Jan. 2006 for a cool $3200.00;

it was up for sale last Sunday at Teletrade - but did not sell ............

looks to me like a lot of high powered stuff is hitting the market as folks get desperate for money ............

but they are unwilling to let the coins go at todays levels

I would estimate this coin would have brought 800 - $900 last Sunday if it had no reserve .

...or more plainly , aprox. 25% of what the feller paid for it some three years ago.

Where's the guy that said the hi grade low pop. Franklins were a good investment ?1959 MS66 FBL Franklin
  • Options
    what I have learned so far this year

o-kay the sky is falling, looks like I picked a good time to start this set - buy low.

OGH holders are the way to go if your budget can surport it and you can find them.

FBL coins are a rackett - I never fell for that hype no problem here with that.

I have 10 to go in my set and I may just reach my goal of all under 100.00 if I'm willing to wait ( o-kay there will be a few over I'm sure )

I'm buying

Dan

U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what a FBL 1953-S will bring in this market. I'm guessing one will go for more than CU Guide even though virtually all other Frankies are floundering.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Funny, Franklins do nothing for me and are likely my least favorite series along with Ike's.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>Funny, Franklins do nothing for me and are likely my least favorite series along with Ike's. >>

Nothing personal but I said that same thing about some of the coins you collect...that is what is great about this hobby to each their own likes....image
    I appreciate what others collect just would not be a buyer...I know part of the reason I like Franklins, and Kennedys I found them in circulation at a young age...its hard to pin point but I have always like the Franklin was hooked on DCAM proofs before moving to MS...and a DCAM Frosty Franklin can not only be a thing of beauty but some years are next to impossable to find with true DCAM frosting...
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Look for FBL's in Rattler holders, money can be made this way.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will be interesting to see what a FBL 1953-S will bring in this market. I'm guessing one will go for more than CU Guide even though virtually all other Frankies are floundering. >>

when will we find this out?
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>It will be interesting to see what a FBL 1953-S will bring in this market. I'm guessing one will go for more than CU Guide even though virtually all other Frankies are floundering. >>

interesting indeed ..........you don't have one for sale do you ?image
  • Options
    .......so the 1954 Franklin in MS 65 FBL has fallen like a rock these past months on the PCGS Guide !
  • Options
    I retail a lot of Franks bc these coins are people's birth date.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So c'mon guys, we need some pics...

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    All these threads got me moving. 7 or 8 years ago when i started collecting coins my first coin was a used morgan i bought off of ebay when a search of something i was looking for turned up a 1878 morgan with less than 1 minute left. I did not know a single thing about coins and won it for around 10 dollars. The next day i stopped by a coin store and bought a few Franklins. Within a week i had bought a set that i thought was nice. ( times sure change) A few years back i sold the set. Most were AU/BU some cleaned nothing great.

Now in the last 2 months due to all these threads i keep winning pcgs and ncg slabs for what i consider pocket change. I lack the 49D,49S,52S. I cut out the latest coast to coast frankin add and have yet to pay more for any coin than the price they show for the so called raw BU coins. The coins i have bought range from ms63 to ms65 some with FBL and some not, some toned. This is just the begining and i plan to try to put together a nice set after i finish the 1st one.

I was in the running for a nice ngc star Franklin last week that got pulled with a few minutes to go. I have a feeling i was going to win with a low snipe bid.

I have not added up the cost but i am pretty sure the first slabbed set will be done for well under 600 dollars and probably 500.

Thanks PAWPAUL!!!

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭

Buyers Market for SURE.....
    My latest purchase from Heritage for an incredible $2K!
    Now in my Franklin NGC Proof Registry!
    Coiny
  • Options
    I was able to snare a very pretty '54 in PCGS MS66 FBL for a very fair price ; the PCGS Price Guide is now beating down the Franklin prices and

the much lower prices should stimulate new and old buyers alike . image
  • Options

With Tomaska writing his book , and Leber out of action , and many of the Franklinland heavies ( Ronyahski, Bushblaster,Madmonk,etc)

selling instead of buying - coupled with fellers like Skyman and others who need only a few of the special dates to fill out their sets.............

there is virtualy no competition for such pieces like this one when they come on the market now .

That monster Rainbow 51-D I won @ Heritage last year for 2 grand would have got bid up over 4000 $ a few short years back !

Add to that the generic white MS-66 stuff , even rare date's with FBL - have little if ANY demand whatsoever at this time and you

got a Freakin' Franklin Free For All !!!!!!!!!!

I believe there are bargins galore for properly graded , attractive Franklins at this junction in time -

Jump in with both feet and give me some bidding competition for these little jewels
  • Options
    I sold the 51-D mentioned earlier in this thread .........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file