Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Coach K losing his touch with Duke?

An embarrassing loss 23 point loss to Villanova is just the latest in 6 years of underachieving in the NCAA tournament for Duke.

Has the game passed Coach K by? Has he gotten old before his time?

Comments

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Coach K is losing his touch. It's just Duke and their conference getting great press because of the East Coast Bias. imageimage

brian
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not.

He & Duke had a pretty good year, considering the players he has. They sure didn't look as good or athletic as the players from Syracuse, Missouri, Louisville, Memphis, etc.

Look. The days of domination are over. UCLA isn't winning 8 in a row again. Nor is a team like Indiana, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, or Duke winning 3 championships in a 10 year span.

The amount of talent is waaaay to spread out. When some of the best players in the country are just as likely to go to Marquette (Wade), or Memphis (Rose), or Kansas State (Beasley), or Ohio State (Oden) as they are to North Carolina or Duke, then there will be much more parady in college basketball. Throw in the fact that none of these kids are staying more than a year or two, and the word dynasty is gone from college basketball.

It's not that Coach K is losing it.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're just not going to win a championship with that many white guys on the floor at the same time.
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255

<< <i>You're just not going to win a championship with that many white guys on the floor at the same time. >>

haha
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Duke's recruiting has been fairly suspect for 3-4 years. No one wants to play for a tyrant anymore. The guy is Bob Knight with a nice public attitude and no chair throwing or choking out players. But he's killing those guys in the locker room and in practice.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    He did fine with team USA didn't he?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>An embarrassing loss 23 point loss to Villanova is just the latest in 6 years of underachieving in the NCAA tournament for Duke.

Has the game passed Coach K by? Has he gotten old before his time? >>

As a huge UNC fan, I hope Coach K retires very soon. He really get the most out of his talent. He's a fine coach.

A few years ago Duke lost Brand, Magette, Williams, and Avery to NBA hardships. With those guys sticking around another year or two Coach K might have another NCAA title to add to his resume.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "He did fine with team USA didn't he?"

That is a whole different situation than college ball.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    right, the point I was making is that Coach K hasn't lost touch, and the game of basketball hasn't passed him by. College basketball is so competitive, you can't expect to win a title every 5 years.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Hey, it's tough to win when you don't shoot 25 more free throws than the other team...