Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1960's Football

Now that I have finished my raw '64 Philadelphia set, I am looking for another '60s football set to work on... I will be doing the set in exmt or better... I am looking to see what you guys think about the '60's sets... I know most will say the '65 set, but something about them I just do not like...

If you would, please include why you like the set you mention, and if you know if there are any 'tough' cards..

Thanks in advance

Cory

Cory
----------------------
Working on:
Football
1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
1938 Goudey (56.25%)
1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)

Comments

• Options
    1960's football is the decade I'm currently working on now. I'm looking at 62 football, 65 Topps, 66 Philly and 69 Topps. It's tough to buy anything unopened as the price are astronomical for the most part. I currently buy PSA 6-8.5 and if I can find 9's at reasonable prices. I think football overall is underrated right now in the vintage market.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    The 69 set is very popular. I put it together raw and have since broken it down and I am putting it together graded. All the big names are in the set plus the only Brian Piccolo card. Ex+ is very affordable with the Piccolo and Csonka being the only true rookies. I would rule out any year both Philadelphia and Topps were produced because you would have to buy both sets to get all the players. I think that was 64-66. My two cents
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Check out Nearmint's Vintage Football Card Gallery

By clicking on the cards, you can see what each set looks like.
    Pick the one with the design and player selection you would enjoy collecting the most.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    In order, I like (ignoring 1965 Topps since you've excluded it):

1962 Topps (borders are a pain)
    1963 Fleer (centering and SP's can be tough)
    1963 Topps (beware the SP's)
    1966 Philly (classic set with plenty of HOF RC's)
    1967 Philly (not a lot of RC's but I love this set in NM-MT)
    1964 Topps (centering is a pain)
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The 67 Topps is a beauty and isn't too large, yet has a lot of great stars in it.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Cory,

1961 Nu-card Football

a small 80-card set that will be fun, inexpensive and easy for you to assemble in exmt+ ...

I love these cards. Take a look at scans below (and click link to my 1961 Nu-card registry set below to see ALL card scans of this series)!

rd

• Options
    1962 Topps
  • Options
    I put a vote in for '68 - Yeah I know it's not real popular but here are some reasons to at least consider:

- first combined set of AFL/NFL so you have ALL the stars in 1 set
    - 220 cards (about 40 less than the 69 set) - I love that one too BTW
    - VERY affordable in 8 - there are about 3-4 that are low pop in 8 or above and could be pricey. Even the big stars (Namath, Unitas, Sayers,etc) aren't unreasonable.

OK - to be fair, here is the other side of the coin:

- centering is poor in general
    - Griese and Floyd Little are the only main rookies in the set

Good luck

J

There is an article from SMR posted on the 68 Topps FB registry you might take a look at.
  • Options
    I like the 69's because of the colored borders and the combo of AFL/NFL. Other favorites:

1967 Topps - good looking cards, only 132 of them

1961 Topps/Fleer - relatively inexpensive for their age; has both AFL and NFL

1962 Fleer - only 88 cards; good looking cards

1962 Topps - great looking but too expensive for me

1968 Topps - I'm a Griese fan
    Vintage Football Collector and Dolphins fan.
    First Cards ever collected - 1978 Topps Football.
    Working on a collection of the Top Ten FB Cards of each year from 1957-1987.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    How about 1964 Topps, which has the AFL players, to go along with the NFL players in your Philly set? It has a couple of HOFers and some short prints to keep things interesting, but it shouldn't be bad to put together in ExMt condition.

Here's one of Mickey Slaughter bowling: