Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this an off-metal strike of a UK 1943 3 Pence?

I was going to list a lot of 3 pence coins and was looking through them to see which dates were there and I noticed that this was a little off color. Is there a way that this could be made of copper? If it is made of copper, was it common for the year? I know that the war was going on, so I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with that. I do not think that it is toning. Side by side, you can actually tell a difference. Any help from you British collectors would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of any 3d bits made from copper or bronze.

I've seen many discolored 3ds over the years, possibly from inconsistencies in the Ni-Brass mix.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can not tell from the pictures - is it copper? I find that there are a lot of odd combos of this type of 3d including the following pieces of Lizzie's reign. OMS, yes; underweight, overweight planchets, yes; occasional crazy alloys.

An unloved denomination to be sure even with the '46 through '51 dates being scarce to rare and the occ. off year VIP proofs. I put all of those together and who even cares? Put these up to auction and they suck! Well, I still like them a little....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.