Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Corner ripped on unopened pack from BBCE

I just wanted to solicit opinions as to what to do with a 1979 cello baseball pack that I just purchased from BBCE. The upper left corner, on the edge of the pack is ripped about 1/3 of an inch, in a sort of crescent shape. The same corner has been corner of the pack is dinged badly, adn the reverse wrapping has a lot of white residue and a brown spot on the cellophane. I just received it from BBCE yesterday. Since I was not planning on ripping it, but keeping it unopened as part of a 1970's-1985 era unopened pack collection I am asembling, I am not sure what to do with it. I have no reason to believe it was tampered with in any way - just a really bad condition unopened 1979 pack that I am dissappointed in. When buying from BBCE is it implied that you will get a good condition unopened pack for your money, or just an unopened pack period?

I am looking for advice from someone a little more experienced in what I should and should not expect when buying unopened packs.

The rest of my order was fine.

Thanks!

(edited for spelling)
Looking to trade for, or purchase, raw or graded vintage for my baseball sets: 1927 York Caramel, 1951 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1967-1979.
http://richsbaseball.webs.com

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I would give Steve a call and let him know. I am sure he will swap it out for you.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd do the same as I would do had I bought any widget from any store. I'd call and see about a return.

Steve has a return policy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    STEVE IS MORE HONEST THAN THE POPE. CALL HIM UP AND HE'LL MAKE GOOD!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure the Pope is all that honest! lol
  • Options
    First, "ripping" does not have a "w" in front of it. Second, it would have been better to just contact Steve first instead of posting here. The few problems I have had with BBCE packs/boxes were always resolved quickly with a simple phone call or email.
  • Options
    uyu906uyu906 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it turns out.
    Looking to trade for, or purchase, raw or graded vintage for my baseball sets: 1927 York Caramel, 1951 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1967-1979.
  • Options
    No need, we all know how it will turn out whether this was posted or not.
  • Options
    I see no problem with this thread, this person came here simply for advice.

he did not trash anyone and was polite.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I'm sure everything will work out... Steve did say he was going out a town so don't worry if you don't hear back from him right away.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called and placed an order with Mike today. They are indeed manning the phones! Left a message and they were quick to get back to me.
    First class as always!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>I just wanted to solicit opinions as to what to do with a 1979 cello baseball pack that I just purchased from BBCE. The upper left corner, on the edge of the pack is ripped about 1/3 of an inch, in a sort of crescent shape. The same corner has been corner of the pack is dinged badly, adn the reverse wrapping has a lot of white residue and a brown spot on the cellophane. I just received it from BBCE yesterday. Since I was not planning on ripping it, but keeping it unopened as part of a 1970's-1985 era unopened pack collection I am asembling, I am not sure what to do with it. I have no reason to believe it was tampered with in any way - just a really bad condition unopened 1979 pack that I am dissappointed in. When buying from BBCE is it implied that you will get a good condition unopened pack for your money, or just an unopened pack period?

I am looking for advice from someone a little more experienced in what I should and should not expect when buying unopened packs.

The rest of my order was fine.

Thanks!

(edited for spelling) >>

My question is why didn't you call BBCE first?? Rather than complain about the pack??
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no problem with this thread, this person came here simply for advice.

he did not trash anyone and was polite.

Steve

I agree with Steve here...I don't see a problem with asking fellow collectors for advice on an issue especially when it was phrased as politely as this one was..by his own admission he is inexperienced in this area, thats what these boards are for, IMO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    uyu906uyu906 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I appreciate the advice of those of you who took the time to give some.

The people complaining about my honest question and respectful request for advice from more experienced pack collectors are excluded from that statement, however. As some others have noted here recently, I believe certain elements of this board are now trolling for any excuse possible to attack fellow collectors, even if they are seeking legitimate collecting information. Feel free not to read my threads in the future.

As some of you suggested, I emailed Steve today about the issue and he did in fact tell me that it was no problem and that I can return it for a replacement. I will do so tomorrow.

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Rip it! LOL!

Then buy another one to save! image

rd

P.S. Tip: Next time, I'd mention you are NOT looking to open the prospective pack, but that you want the best possible example for grading purposes. If a seller like BBCE has multiple packs available, I'm quite sure BBCE would try to accomidate you with a nice gradeable example! But still there is no reason why you should accept a 70's damaged pack with corner damage, period! No matter who the seller was! (edit: as I just read, you are returning it to BBCE, and they are "making good" for you, as most here fully expected!)
  • Options
    Yep, and to be fair the guys that sorta piled on you meant no harm.

Glad you were able to get that resolved.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I meant no harm in my question. I was just wondering why you didn't contact BBCE first.

Your quote:
    I believe certain elements of this board are now trolling for any excuse possible to attack fellow collectors.

I wasn't trolling for an excuse either, just an honest question IMO.image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember...anybody named Steve is basically trustworthy...any other name I wouldn't trust.
  • Options
    Yeah - be glad there's nobody (that I know of) working at BBCE named GEORGE or DICK!!!

Thems are names to watch out for...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah - be glad there's nobody (that I know of) working at BBCE named GEORGE or DICK!!!

Thems are names to watch out for... >>

As in Barack or Joe? LOL